[Old Report] Controls stop working in Dead Space on Steam

by kill3rvill3

Original Post

Re: Controls stop working in Dead Space on Steam

Community Manager

Hey everyone, 

At the moment, there has not yet been any new update on this issue. We are keeping an eye on this and if that changes we will be sure to provide an update on the situation.

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 61 of 91 (1,149 Views)

Community Manager

Hey Everyone (Part 2)

We are requesting an update for this issue and I wanted to go over a few things first and then snag info from you in order to get this pushed up.

As of now, if you have not yet, please run through the following steps.

• Make sure the game is installed on an internal SSD (versus HDD or external SSD connected via USB)
  • Run the System File Checker tool then Check for Windows and GPU updates  
  • EA App's Cache (Top Left Menu > Help > App Recovery
  • Repair Games (Go to My Collection > Select the tile Dots > Repair)
  • Check for other applications that may be limiting EA App or Game performance
  • Put your device in a Clean Boot then launch the game
  • Downloading the Xbox app, and Xbox companion app from the Microsoft store
  • Disable the Steam overlay and the EA App overlay - Settings - Application In-game overlay
  • Reset all settings in-game back to default
  • Check do you alt+tab out for any reason before this happens
  • Do you have a controller or another USB device plugged in when this happens?

There is also a thread with info about players running into the same issue(s) HERE. ⬅️Did we check this link?

Many controller issues can be resolved by putting the controller through a complete power cycle. To power cycle your controller: Press and hold the Xbox button for 5-10 seconds, until the controller turns off. Wait a few seconds, then press and hold the Xbox button again to turn the controller back on.

If these or other steps do not work, we will need the following information:

• Platform:
  • If on console, which console generation do you have? 
  • What is your Gamertag/PSN ID/Steam ID?
  • The original Date/time issue occurred 
  • Description of the issue with the controller?
  • Which Specific controller are you using?
  • How often does the bug occur? 
  • Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 
  • What happens when the bug occurs?

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 62 of 91 (1,121 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the reply 

As outlined in the previous posts on this thread I have done everything that you asked but just to be clear and to use as a single point of reference here are my answers 

• Make sure the game is installed on an internal SSD (versus HDD or external SSD connected via USB)
    • Game is running on SSD and I have tried multiple SSDs 
  • Run the System File Checker tool then Check for Windows and GPU updates  
    • Done - did not resolve
    • I even wiped my pc / clean install of windows  and this did not resolve the issue either 
  • EA App's Cache (Top Left Menu > Help > App Recovery
    • Done  - did not resolve
  • Repair Games (Go to My Collection > Select the tile Dots > Repair)
    • Done - did not resolve
  • Check for other applications that may be limiting EA App or Game performance
    • checked - still not resolved
  • Put your device in a Clean Boot then launch the game
    • done - did not resolve
  • Downloading the Xbox app, and Xbox companion app from the Microsoft store
    • Done - game is through steam
  • Disable the Steam overlay and the EA App overlay - Settings - Application In-game overlay
    • done - did not resolve
  • Reset all settings in-game back to default
    • done - did not resolve
  • Check do you alt+tab out for any reason before this happens
    • I am not alt+tab'ing out of the game for any reason
  • Do you have a controller or another USB device plugged in when this happens?
    • no  - just keyboard and mouse

There is also a thread with info about players running into the same issue(s) HERE. ⬅️Did we check this link?

• I have checked this thread and it DOES NOT  resolve my issue 

Many controller issues can be resolved by putting the controller through a complete power cycle. To power cycle your controller: Press and hold the Xbox button for 5-10 seconds, until the controller turns off. Wait a few seconds, then press and hold the Xbox button again to turn the controller back on.

• I am using keyboard and mouse but I have power cycled these and it DOES NOT resolve my issue 

If these or other steps do not work, we will need the following information:

• Platform:
    • PC Steam 
  • If on console, which console generation do you have? 
  • What is your Gamertag/PSN ID/Steam ID?
    • KILL3RVILL3
  • The original Date/time issue occurred 
    • Please see start date of this thread for when it first started 
  • Description of the issue with the controller?
    • Keyboard and mouse controls stop responding.  All key bindings are reset in the options to use a controller but I do not have one attached as I am using a keyboard and mouse 
  • Which Specific controller are you using?
    • I have tried the following Keyboards - Razer black widows X tournament edition (Wired) , Logitech g915 TKL (Wired & Wireless), Razer blacwidow v3 mini hyperspeed (Wired & Wireless) 
    • I have tried the following mice - razer basilisk v3 pro (Wireless & Wired), Razer Viper Mini (wired) & Razer mamba (Wireless & Wired)
    • None of this configurations resolve my issue 
  • How often does the bug occur? 
    • Every time I play, at random times during play.  Once it occurs I have to wait approx 2 mins and then my keyboard and mouse are recognised by the game again and I can control the game but I need to go back into settings and set my binds again even after wiping them all to begin with at the start of game play 
  • Steps: How can we find the bug ours
    • Start game
    • Clear Bindings (Optional, this does not stop the issue from occurring
    • Play the game until the controls stop responding
    • wait approx 2 mins for controls to start responding again 
  • What happens when the bug occurs?
    • All keyboard and mouse controls stop responding.  If I am walking through a level when this happens Isaac will continue to walk in the direction he is facing.  I am unable to control anything, unable to pause the game, unable to press escape to the main menu but if I know the keyboard is still working through windows as I can press the windows key and it responds, the game appears to be resetting the controls scheme back to controller when I do not have one connected to my pc

Please provide an eta for a fix for this issue 

If you need anything else ie logs etc please let me know 

Message 63 of 91 (1,094 Views)

Community Manager

Hey everyone,

This has been forwarded over to the team for review. Once there is an update on our end, we will post that info here and let players know.

EA_ShepardAHQ

Message 64 of 91 (1,049 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

OK, thank you 

Please keep this post open and update us when you know what is happening 

Clearly the game is unplayable at the moment so I would very much like to play what I paid for, with that in mind a prompt resolution or at least constant communication around this issue would be great appreciated 

Message 65 of 91 (1,035 Views)

Community Manager
@kill3rvill3 I am keeping an eye on it. When they provide us one I will provide one here for everyone.

EA_ShepardAHQ

Message 66 of 91 (1,027 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hi

Is there any update on this yet ?

Thanks

Message 67 of 91 (961 Views)

Community Manager

@kill3rvill3 Took a look, and I am not yet seeing an update on our end for this one specifically.

EA_ShepardAHQ

Message 68 of 91 (957 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Is there any update on this yet 

The last patch was in Feb and nothing since then 

Is it fair to say that there are probably no future patches coming now that we have paid for this broken code ??

Message 69 of 91 (867 Views)

Community Manager

Hey everyone,

I looked for an update on this. I am not currently seeing one being posted from the team as of yet.

EA_ShepardAHQ

Message 70 of 91 (859 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help