[Old Report] Controls stop working in Dead Space on Steam

by kill3rvill3

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Old Report] Controls stop working in Dead Space on Steam

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I have a problem whilst playing the dead space remake on steam.

Every so often, maybe 10 mins, then 5 mins, then maybe 30 mins later the controls will stop responding.  If I wait for maybe 1 min the controls start responding again. I get this problem whilst playing on keyboard and mouse, wireless xbox controller or wired playstation dual sense controller.  I have tried unbinding all the settings in the controls menu to just leave the keyboard and mouse settings active, this does not work.  I have tried turning controllers off in steam, this does not work.  I have tried running in big picture mode, this does not work either.

Is there a known working fix for this ?, if not Is this something that is on the radar for a patch ?

Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 91 (4,445 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Controls stop working in Dead Space on Steam

★★★ Newbie

@kill3rvill3 I recently started playing this game and have encountered this same issue. I'm playing the Steam version using a PS5 controller.

Just last night I tried powering off my USB DAC (used as a headphone amp) and switching to a regular 3.5mm headphone device, admittedly I've only had 2 short 45 minute game sessions since but this may have resolved my issue, previously even if only playing for an hour I'd expect my controller to go unresponsive once or twice during that time. Interesting I have a similar problem with Battlefield 2042 where my game will freeze entirely (audio works) and then resume, this would also happen with similar regularity to the issue with the controller on DS R.

If you have other USB devices (excluding your standard KB+M) you may want to try disabling or removing them for a session and see if it resolves your issue, particularly if you're using USB audio of any kind, I suspect there's some underlying problem that's related to Frostbite engine.

Good luck and hope it solves your problems.

Also, @EA_Shepard please share this issue of USB audio with the technical team.

View in thread

Message 76 of 91 (4,181 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Apprentice

just to add - this is not the issue where you cannot run using shift  - this is all controls freezing up 
A number of folks over at reddit have also noted this issue with the same symptoms so it would be great to get some feedback from EA on this issue

Message 2 of 91 (4,415 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Had a same problem in Mortal Kombat 11. but my issue was with PS4 controller.

After I changed controller and start using it with cable, everything went back to normal.

Weird thing was controller only had a problem with MK11. But I still replaced him.

And I still have no idea why my old controller had a problem with MK11.

If you dont have a problem in other games my best guess is your issue is similiar to mine.

Message 3 of 91 (4,411 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

this happens on multiple format controllers, xbox, playstation and keyboard and mouse - I dont see it being something with all those controllers but I appreciate you reaching out 

Message 4 of 91 (4,406 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @kill3rvill3 @MohawkTheOne 

can we try the following steps and check if this continues?

Thanks!

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 5 of 91 (4,380 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I will try the cleanboot configuration tomorrow 
I have tried all the other steps but please note this is the steam release and not through the EA app but i have checked the integrity of files as well as removing the installation to try installing again and none of this has worked 

I will come back to you tomorrow on the cleanboot approach 

Message 6 of 91 (4,367 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Illium
ok so an update - its still not resolved - the controls are still stopping working at random intervals

The game is installed on SSD

files validated through steam

game uninstalled and reinstalled

changed my device to clean boot following the steps you provided

No other applications limited performance

Other connected usb devices removed

Still the controls stop working, when this happens the game continues with the last key pressed, eg if i am walking forward it will continue to walk forward until the controls return. When the controls stop working in game I can press the windows key and alt tab out so I know it is not an issue with my controls
Message 7 of 91 (4,323 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Illium Is there any update to this issue ?
Message 8 of 91 (4,305 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Illium some more information that I have noticed and I think it is the cause. When the keyboard and mouse stop responding it looks like the controls in the options have put controller (gamepad) settings back in place. I have to remove them each time this happens to be able to use my keyboard and mouse. I have been able to replicate this each time it happens now so I think this is a bug
Message 9 of 91 (4,289 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Illium this is getting ridiculous now

every time I try and play this game on keyboard and mouse it reverts back to controller settings and I lose keyboard and mouse controls - in an hour play through this happens at least 5 times - its making the game unplayable
Message 10 of 91 (4,275 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help