Traversal stutter on PC

by MrH999

Original Post

Betreff: Traversal stutter on PC

★★★★ Apprentice

@macatak wrote:

just looking through all the DxDiag's posted in this thread they all list nvidia gpu's, coincidence ?

Maybe, but it could just be done to more people own Nvidia cards. Either way I hope the devs fix this soon, it's getting a little silly that it hasn't been fixed at this point.

Message 31 of 172 (884 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I did a comparison of Dead Space and Spider Man, both games were capped to 120fps and settings were adjusted to hit that target 99% of the time.

The difference is night and day, Spider Man runs flawlessly (apart from the one massive spike in the middle, that's the only time the game has stuttered in 6 hours), while Dead Space is a stuttering mess. If I can web sling around a massive open world without stuttering I should be able to walk slowly around a ship without constantly hitching.

Message 32 of 172 (884 Views)

★ Apprentice
@MrH999 It’s hard not to feel like a “second-class gamer” at this point. PS5 had a launch bug that was as serious as ours, and they communicated quite heavily and had the problem fixed within 72 hours. PC is 9 days post-launch and still suffering from the same problem, with very little communication outside of a Reddit post asking for DxDiag’s and specs.

I love this game, and desperately want to be able to enjoy it. I wish they’d at least tell us they’re working to resolve it, instead of radio silence.
Message 33 of 172 (868 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@AlfaOneSeven wrote:
@MrH999It’s hard not to feel like a “second-class gamer” at this point. PS5 had a launch bug that was as serious as ours, and they communicated quite heavily and had the problem fixed within 72 hours. PC is 9 days post-launch and still suffering from the same problem, with very little communication outside of a Reddit post asking for DxDiag’s and specs.

I love this game, and desperately want to be able to enjoy it. I wish they’d at least tell us they’re working to resolve it, instead of radio silence.

I've loved this franchise for a very long time and in general the remake is everything I wanted it to be. I spent £1200 upgrading my computer to be ready for it, only to have the experience ruined by stuttering, so I'm pretty upset honestly.

Message 34 of 172 (864 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@AlfaOneSeven i believe it's happening on all platforms

https://imgur.com/6zCPKFd
Message 35 of 172 (858 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@macatak wrote:
@AlfaOneSeveni believe it's happening on all platforms

https://imgur.com/6zCPKFd

If Alex says so, I would 100% trust him. Digital Foundry and him especially are at the top of their field. I think we'll be getting his PC breakdown for Dead Space in the next couple of days, hopefully then we might actually get a fix (bad press from Digital Foundry always seems to magically speed up the process).

Message 36 of 172 (847 Views)

★ Apprentice
@macatak I’m aware, but the PC versions seem to be much more severe. I believe the console’s DirectStorage (and Sony’s equivalent) make the problem a lot less apparent. Every PS5 owner I’ve asked said it’s hardly noticeable, and only happens at tram stations or specific “loading areas” that aren’t intrusive. I subbed to DF’s Patreon to watch their tech review early, and they indeed confirmed there were traversal stutters but that they were few and far between, and unobtrusive. Meanwhile the game stutters in ever hallway and doorway in my experience, much like @MrH999 has shown in his tests.
Message 37 of 172 (838 Views)

★ Apprentice
@MrH999 Same here, I hadn’t been this excited for a video game since Halo 3. So to call this experience a “let down” would be a gross understatement.
Message 38 of 172 (824 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hey everyone, I managed to figure out a workaround for a 95% stutter free experience.

Traversal stutters absolutely still exist, but he micro-stuttering is completely gone for me. The game still hangs at certain, reproducible areas (i.e. certain doorways, ramps, trams stations, etc..) but the overall stutter has been significantly reduced for me. I hope it helps you too.

1. Using Nvidia Profile Inspector, I set V-sync to "Force on" and Shader Cache to "10GB."
  2. Set my refresh rate to 60hz, not a fixed refresh rate in RTSS or Nvidia Control panel, like I manually set my display refresh rate to 60hz in Windows display options.
  3. Disabled G-Sync.
  4. Set my in-game graphics settings to my preference, display mode to "borderless windowed" and v-sync to "On" in-game, and then saved at a save station.
  5. Deleted my Dead Space 2023 cache folder inside of my "User/Documents/DeadSpace(2023)" folder and let the shaders rebuild on boot.

I found a post on fixing stuttering in Jedi: Fallen Order, and was inspired to try it on Dead Space since they both use Frostbite. Are traversal stutters annoying? Yes. But with this solution it feels more like a "dropped frame" instead of a "frame-time" spike. Maybe @MrH999 can test to see if that's true or not. For now it will let me enjoy the game more while we hopefully wait for a patch. Cheers.

Message 39 of 172 (803 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the workaround, but that sounds worse than just not playing at all. Dropping from 120 to 60 FPS, removing gsync, just making the entire experience dramatically worse to partially resolve an issue just isn't gonna do it for me.

Perhaps for others, especially those already on 60hz displays, this'll be great, but I'll keep holding out.

Message 40 of 172 (769 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help