Traversal stutter on PC

by MrH999

Original Post

Traversal stutter on PC

★★★★ Apprentice

The PC version suffers from traversal stuttering, moving to new areas very often causes the game to stutter, this can also happen randomly from my experience. I have read 100s of reports on ResetEra and Reddit, it is not a hardware issue. I literally built this PC yesterday so everything is fresh.

https://streamable.com/ga6zlg

I have uploaded a video showing 100% reproducible stutter when entering a new area, this is not an isolated instance. 13700k/3080/32GB DDR5 6200MHZ, NVMe SSD, Win 10 Pro

Message 1 of 172 (6,464 Views)

Re: Traversal stutter on PC

★★★★ Apprentice

Here's my DXDIAG.

Message 2 of 172 (6,296 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

I also get the same, its very annoying traversial stutter, i think Digital foundry will release a video of Dead Space Performance on PC in about two days. I heard Alex and John talking about it. I think it's a problem with asset streaming. Because the problem is reproducible, every time you step in a new area/room or elevator it's stutters. 

Intel Core i5 13600K / Noctua NH-D15 Chromax black
Gigabyte Z790 AERO G
Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 2x16GB 6000
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090 Windforce 3
Samsung 980 PRO 2TB M2

Message 3 of 172 (6,279 Views)

Betreff: Traversal stutter on PC

★★ Novice

Does this mean that PCI 5.0 rigs with NMVE drives also have this problem? I thought it was mainly because the game was designed for the fast storage connection of the current-gen consoles. So PCI 3.0 rigs will have a big disadvantage. Also, I assume if the game would facilitate “direct storage” it would run better on PC?

Message 4 of 172 (6,253 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Just what Alex says from Digital foundry, you cannot power through the stutter, no matter how powerful your rig is. We just have to wait for a patch to fix this.

Message 5 of 172 (6,241 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok. it seems a new patch is already live, but only on Steam, not for Origin / EA App, 🤷‍♂️

Addressed PS5 performance related issues.
Added a new option to disable VRS on PC.
Addressed various glitches and bugs.
Addressed an issue related to black screen issue.
Added stability and performance fixes.
Added general stability fixes.

Message 6 of 172 (6,229 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Frametimes are slightly better overall it seems, but the traversal stutter is unchanged. Plus you can disable VRS on PC with this patch.

Message 7 of 172 (6,222 Views)

★★★ Novice

Me and several other people I know are also having this problem. I'm still running a 2080 Ti, but it seems to handle the game quite well outside of these asset loading stutters that occur as you traverse into different areas. I've messed with lowering graphical settings, but it seems unaffected by it. 

Also attaching my DxDiag. Would love to see this fixed.

Message 8 of 172 (6,188 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@S1xthsense wrote:

Frametimes are slightly better overall it seems, but the traversal stutter is unchanged. Plus you can disable VRS on PC with this patch.

That's also my experience, slightly better frame times but the stuttering remains. I'm really hoping stuttering is next on the agenda for the devs.

Message 9 of 172 (6,167 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Any update from the developer on the traversal stutter? It's so annoying when entering a new room or area the game starts to stutter for MS.

Message 10 of 172 (6,045 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help