dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2024-07-09 07:12:15: • Big Telecom Eyes More Broadband Usage Caps (And A Tax On Big Tech) As Revenues Sag [techdirt.com] • Singapore, Chile top broadband speeds as US ranks 6th [fierce-network. ..

ncted
join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC

8 recommendations

ncted

Big Telecom Eyes More Broadband Usage Caps (And A Tax On Big Tech) As Revenu

As soon as AT&T brings back data caps, I'll be switching to Google Fiber.

Donut
join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI
·Comcast XFINITY
Netgear CM1000
Synology RT2600ac

9 recommendations

Donut

Re: Big Telecom Eyes More Broadband Usage Caps (And A Tax On Big Tech) As Revenu

At least you got that option. Many don’t. Comcast has had caps in our area since 2016. Our other option is Satellite which is capped or cellular (TMobile just added a soft cap), Verizon doesn’t do 5G home internet in our area yet, not sure if they cap.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

3 recommendations

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Re: Big Telecom Eyes More Broadband Usage Caps (And A Tax On Big Tech) As Revenu

Only option in my area is Comcast. At least it’s uncapped.
Nucleartx
join:2016-09-08
Belton, TX

3 recommendations

Nucleartx to ncted

to ncted
I have Spectrum/Astound/Verizon 5G/Starlink/Local WISP also available at my address, all unlimited. I'd drop At&t Fiber fast if they added usage caps. I use about 5 TB per month being home all the time.
ppappas
join:2001-12-15
San Jose, CA

4 recommendations

ppappas

You are very lucky to have choice. Of the approximately 130 million households in the US, over 80 million on have only a single provider choice for broadband internet. That's over 50%.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09

-3 recommendations

tc1uscg to ncted

to ncted
All us fiber peeps can scream "we have no caps" all we want, but mark my word. When there is NOTHING left but fiber, the caps will start showing up. All it takes is one big name to bring them online and the rest will follow. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING magical about fiber that will keep it from getting caps. Has nothing with capacity. It's the "R" word (revenue) and providers are hungry for it.
ncted
Durham, NC
·Google Fiber

8 recommendations

ncted

said by tc1uscg:

All us fiber peeps can scream "we have no caps" all we want, but mark my word. When there is NOTHING left but fiber, the caps will start showing up. All it takes is one big name to bring them online and the rest will follow. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING magical about fiber that will keep it from getting caps. Has nothing with capacity. It's the "R" word (revenue) and providers are hungry for it.

The antidote for that is competition. Like others have said here, I am lucky to have two fiber providers as well as Spectrum to choose from. Not saying Google will never have caps, but it doesn't seem within the realm of possibility currently.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

r81984

Premium Member

The antidote is a law that ensures all ISP offers the same minimal service that all consumers expect to get for their money. No caps, net neutrality, etc.... That ensures all ISPs are competing fairly and not lying.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

3 recommendations

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by r81984:

The antidote is a law that ensures all ISP offers the same minimal service that all consumers expect to get for their money. No caps, net neutrality, etc.... That ensures all ISPs are competing fairly and not lying.

Or make wireline broadband providers adhere to the same regulations that telephone companies had to adhere to in the good old days of Ma’ Bell. Internet has become the new form of communication these days. Kids these days use the internet and mobile phones, they don’t use landline phone. And I think ISPs should be subject to carrier of last resort requirements. So if there is a dominant ISP in a state (say Comcast or Charter) then they should be subject to buildout requirements and universal service. They had the similar requirements (line extension, right to service) when cable TV was in its heyday but that depends on the franchising agreement. No such regulations exist for Internet.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

4 recommendations

DocDrew

Premium Member

Better watch out, all that regulation will invariably come with additional regulatory fees just like Ma' Bell has. For example, buildout requirements and universal service came with Universal Service Fund (USF) fees. Those extra fees are a big reason many moved away from landline phone.

More competition is the solution to caps.

Donut
join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI
·Comcast XFINITY
Netgear CM1000
Synology RT2600ac

3 recommendations

Donut

You can’t expect companies to expand service without being forced to do so. In many instances it doesn’t make sense. Like the community I live in, roughly 24,000 people. Comcast serves like 99% and AT&T offers aDSL to those who have it. We have had people call WOW as they are offered in the next city over. They were told that there was not enough meat on the bone for them to expand.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to ncted

Premium Member

to ncted
I agree, 60% of Grinnell, Iowa can have Mahaska Communication Group Fiber or Windstream Fiber and 1Gb is the minimum with 0 caps from both. Both are arond $60 per month. The other 40% is MCG or Mediacom 1Gb WITH caps so MCG is crushing it here. Also T-Mobile 5GUC is here as well

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by IowaMan:

I agree, 60% of Grinnell, Iowa can have Mahaska Communication Group Fiber or Windstream Fiber and 1Gb is the minimum with 0 caps from both. Both are arond $60 per month. The other 40% is MCG or Mediacom 1Gb WITH caps so MCG is crushing it here. Also T-Mobile 5GUC is here as well

Cedar Rapids (where I am originally from) has the choice of I’mOn Communications or Mediacom. I’On’s network is kind of a unique configuration as it has a POTS telephone system running alongside an HFC network on the same set of lines. They used a special drop that would provide both coax and twisted pair to the residence. Those lines were installed in the late 90s when bundling was in its infancy. I’m sure if they would have installed them a few years later it would have just been an HFC network because EMTAs and cable telephony came along. The original company was McLeodUSA but they went bankrupt so I’mOn is the new company that manages the network.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

They do FTTH today as well.
Marshalltown, Iowa is getting a FTTH build starting this year

tc1uscg

tc1uscg to ncted

to ncted
I used to think that. But how many providers need to be in one area for it to make a difference? I just moved from an area that had 2 coax providers. AT&T came in with Fiber. Prices still went up.

Where I live now, 2 fiber providers, one coax. I'm not even taking wireless/Sat service into account at either my pervious or current location. Fiber price is almost the same. The NEWEST provider is $5 more then AT&T for fiber. Now, to their credit, they don't charge for hardware, but the price includes all fee's. The coax provider is another story. They are overall more expensive due to eqp costs (Sparklight).

So, I have to disagree about the competition. It's a pipe dream from years gone buy. Not to say if, say, CoastConnect, dropped it's price to $60 (or less) for their gig fiber, I'm sure AT&T MIGHT drop their price. Kinda reminds me of seeing 3 gas stations all at the same intersection. One is a Shell, one is a Clark and one is a Marathon. They all charge the same price. Now, the soda and 7 day old hotdogs might differ in price, but gas price is the same. They don't have to compete. And unless the motive is to poach customers, then raise the price 12 months or 6 months later, but in my experience, 2 or 3 providers don't do much in price reduction.
ncted
Durham, NC
·Google Fiber

ncted

said by tc1uscg:

I used to think that. But how many providers need to be in one area for it to make a difference? I just moved from an area that had 2 coax providers. AT&T came in with Fiber. Prices still went up.

Where I live now, 2 fiber providers, one coax. I'm not even taking wireless/Sat service into account at either my pervious or current location. Fiber price is almost the same. The NEWEST provider is $5 more then AT&T for fiber. Now, to their credit, they don't charge for hardware, but the price includes all fee's. The coax provider is another story. They are overall more expensive due to eqp costs (Sparklight).

So, I have to disagree about the competition. It's a pipe dream from years gone buy. Not to say if, say, CoastConnect, dropped it's price to $60 (or less) for their gig fiber, I'm sure AT&T MIGHT drop their price. Kinda reminds me of seeing 3 gas stations all at the same intersection. One is a Shell, one is a Clark and one is a Marathon. They all charge the same price. Now, the soda and 7 day old hotdogs might differ in price, but gas price is the same. They don't have to compete. And unless the motive is to poach customers, then raise the price 12 months or 6 months later, but in my experience, 2 or 3 providers don't do much in price reduction.

Compared to places where there is no competition, the prices locally seem lower. Yes, they still go up, like everything else, but not as much. Although Spectrum seems to be ignoring the fact that the fiber-only providers are stealing all their customers around here. The potential data caps are [hopefully] a different matter. Only time will tell though.

tc1uscg

tc1uscg

Caps should have been a talking topic between the regulators and the providers a long long time ago. The people in the know (most people here on DSLR) understand the argument of "caps keeps people under control so everyone can have a pleasant online experience" is total BS. But it was just another way to sell another level of usage. Like pay us more and you get a fast lane side of the network and we won't throttle your data. Or, be like the rest of the peeps and once you use up your bucket of data, you get slowed to a crawl.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Caps are more to keep streaming off their networks so you’ll buy their cable TV packages which use separate network resources and generate $$$ for the cable provider. They view internet as an add-on and their primary business is cable television. I use DirecTV stream and my usage is about 700 GB per month. That includes everything else. But it’s just me in the house now that mom has passed on.
ncted
Durham, NC

2 recommendations

ncted

FWIW: I decided not to wait around for AT&T to make up their mind. GF is available now, so I ordered an install. Assuming all goes well, when I cancel AT&T, if they ask why, the reason I will give is their execs are talking about adding data caps.

tc1uscg

2 recommendations

tc1uscg

Lets hope GF won't be the last man standing when it comes to caps. I think right now, on the streaming side, Apple is the only one who hasn't implement ads all over the place. So, if GF sticks to no ads, great, but it's good we give reasons for leaving and it should be along lines of our "internet experiences" not being what we wish for. Caps does not enhance our "experiences" with their service.

I have AT&T gig fiber. I can jump ship to Coastconnect (my electric company's fiber service) who, sorry to say, might not be versed enough to even consider caps on their gig fiber. I doubt they know how to even implement it.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

2 recommendations

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Privacy is the main reason I prefer Apple smartphones. I have a Dell Desktop but that sits on the computer cart. I don't have a Mac laptop/desktop because they are so darn expensive. But if I have a device that follows me 24/7, I want one that has privacy feature built in.

Reticent
join:2008-08-11
USA_PDX

7 recommendations

Reticent

[CA] Telecom Industry Demands Harsher Criminal Penalties (for) Copper Thefts

Best reason to replace with ( visually-different ) fiber. ( And not just in Canada.)

antdude
ANTinator
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

3 recommendations

antdude

Premium Member

Re: [CA] Telecom Industry Demands Harsher Criminal Penalties (for) Copper Thefts

I wished fiber was here.
Expand your moderator at work

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Reticent

MVM

to Reticent

Re: [CA] Telecom Industry Demands Harsher Criminal Penalties (for) Copper Thefts

said by Reticent:

Best reason to replace with ( visually-different ) fiber. ( And not just in Canada.)

Still some of these copper thieves clip fiber optic cables thinking they're copper, causing major outages.

zertmaster
join:2014-08-06
Ephrata, PA

zertmaster

Singapore, Chile top broadband speeds as US ranks 6th

Chile kinda invented the Internet back in the 70s. With Project Cybersyn.