[Old Report] Dead Space Remake Freezing computer / DirectX Error / Driver Crash

by squiddlestiks

Original Post

Re: Dead Space Remake Freezing computer / DirectX Error / Driver Crash

★★★ Newbie

I also ran into the DirectX crashing issue, but only after I upgraded my computer. I played for several hours without any crashes on my 2080 ti and older Ryzen chip, but I getting some occasional stutters which I chalked up to just not lowering my settings enough.

Then I switched over to my new desktop with a 4090 and an i9-13900KF, and right away I started seeing the DX crashes. When the game WAS running, it was a smooth 144fps or more to match my monitor, but then I read in a different thread about these crashes that someone stopped them by lowering their max FPS for Dead Space in the NVidia Control Panel.

I tried that (Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings (Select Dead Space) -> Max Frame Rate = 120) and I haven't had a single crash since. Played through the last 4 chapters which took several hours and it was smooth the whole time

Maybe the game doesn't have an intelligent way to limit frames if your hardware is good enough to let it climb well above 120. I'm also not sure what the mechanism for limiting this would be for non NVidia GPUs, but I'm sure it exists.

Hopefully this works for other people too.

Message 41 of 85 (1,859 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am getting this DirectX Error randomly since the beginning of playing this game. Sometimes I can play for an hour, sometimes it crashes to Desktop every 5 Minutes. I have a razer blade 17  3080ti laptop gpu and a 12th Gen Cpu, none of which are overclocked or overheated (checked with hwinfo) and running win11. I tried pretty much every setting in-game and every performance profile outside the game, nothing helped. I tried an external 1080p TV with vsync enabled, limiting to 60fps with the driver, lowering quality settings, no avail.

Message 42 of 85 (1,848 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Are you gonna patch this EA??

the game has been out what 6 months now?? 

you cannot be serious, that we have crashes in the game 6 months later?

would you be so kind, get your butt's into gear and fix this?

we pay a lot of money for gaming 

so we expect it to work!

Message 43 of 85 (1,825 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm glad I'm not the only one having these crashing issues. When I built my PC in early April I wasn't having these crashes. Though I definately wasn't playing the game very much. In the last few days I've wanted to play dead space more (waiting for starfield lol) and all of a sudden I'm getting crashes every 1-10 minutes. Sometime they are as soon as I start the game, sometimes I can play for a bit. The only thing I have found that helps is running the game at 1080p instead of 4K. 

I have to say I'm rather disappointed. At first I thought this was new bug, but to find out that this has been affecting some people since day 1 and it still isnt fixed??? This makes the game completely unplayable! Here are my specs if you care. It definitely seems to affect people with high end specs more often.

i9-13900k

RTX 4090

Corsair Vengeance DDR5 CL26 @ 6400MHZ

Aorus Master z790 

1000W PSU

Message 44 of 85 (1,791 Views)

★★★★ Novice

No this is a new crash problem we got with the newest nvidia drivers

hopefully they get it fixed soon because we cant freaking play the game!!!

Message 45 of 85 (1,735 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Still no fix... Thank god I borrowed a friend's account to play it and haven't paid money for it. Btw, just finished Callisto. 0 crashes.

Message 46 of 85 (1,681 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

yeah, I got the same issue, I have 30 hours in the game so far, played it since day one, never had one issue with it, worked just fine, then i stopped playing for a while and a few days ago i loaded it up to play and now it crashes with the device hung error every time. They need to stop with the fix suggestions and just fix the game. The problem isnt on our end its on theirs. we payed $60 for this damn game, FIX IT!

I have over 400 games on my steam account and NONE of them do this, this is the first time i have ever seen this error.

Message 47 of 85 (1,662 Views)

★ Apprentice

Same problem here. This is crazy. 

Message 48 of 85 (1,525 Views)

Community Manager

Hey Everyone,

Wanted to drop in and get some info on this from everyone. I see a lot of different information from players. Can we please go down the list of steps to see if these will work for you?

Delete Windows Temp Files

Spoiler
  • First, make sure you close as many programs as you can
  • Press the Windows key + R, go into the file explorer
  • Type in %temp%, and hit Enter
  • Delete everything it allows you to delete
  • Reboot the PC

Optional Registry clean-up

Spoiler
  • install CCleaner (it's free) from here
  • Run Registry cleaner
  • Click review selected issues
  • Do you want to back up? No
  • Click Fix all selected issues

DNS Flush

Spoiler
  1. Click the Start button. It’s the Windows logo in the bottom left corner.
  2. Select Command Prompt.
  3. To open the command prompt console, you could also simply press the Windows and R keys at the same time and enter cmd.
  4. You may see a popup asking if you want to allow Command Prompt to make changes to your computer. If you do, select Yes.
  5. If you are asked for an administrative login at this point, then you’ll need to contact your system administrator to proceed.
  6. In the command prompt window, type ipconfig /flushdns.
  7. Press Enter.
  8. You should see a message confirming that the DNS Resolver Cache was successfully flushed.

Uninstall and reinstall the following as fresh installs and not repaired installs

Nvidia

👉Once these are completed and the game is still not working, please post all of the following below. The more information we have the faster the team can run through logs and narrow down what is happening.👈

• EA App/Steam/Epic:
  • EA ID/Steam user ID:
  • Attach the EA App Error Report ID Here
  • Windows OS:
  • Windows OS version:
  • GPU model and driver version:
  • Region:
  • Are you using an internal or external drive?
  • Are you using an HDD or SSD?
  • Date this issue started (is it still happening?)
  • Any other errors?
  • If possible, share a Screenshot or Clip:
  • Attach a DxDiag

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 49 of 85 (1,514 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help