[Old Report] Dead Space Remake Freezing computer / DirectX Error / Driver Crash

by squiddlestiks

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Old Report] Dead Space Remake Freezing computer / DirectX Error / Driver Crash

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Yesterday, I tried playing the remake. After going through the settings to ensure that my system would have the best chance to run it, I started the game. The game froze after Nicole's first sentence. I noticed that my second screen showed a bunch of visual artifacts, mostly, the windows system icons splattered across the screen at various angles. I tried again at a lower resolution and in windowed mode, this time I got a little window attached to the game application: DirectX Error: DirectX Function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The GPU will not respond to more commands"). GPU: "AMD Radeon VII", Driver: 22.11.2 (22.20.29.10-21130a-386220E-AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition). This error is usually caused by the graphics driver crashing; try reinstalling the latest drivers.

Following that advice, I updated the drivers and got the same result. I ran an `sfc /scannow` command, restarted multiple times, made sure Windows was up to date, all drivers were up to date, and the whole nine yards. After everything was done, I no longer got that error message... 

Now, instead of the game hitching and allowing me to just close the game and try again, my whole computer freezes. I've even rolled my AMD drivers back to the recommended 22.5.1 version EA recommended.

EA: Please fix this, not everyone can afford to shell out thousands on computer hardware just to play a game at semi-stable frame rates. 

My system hardware:
Intel i5-9600KF
MSI Z390-A Pro
AMD Radeon VII
32GB GSkill Aegis 2666MHz
The game is installed on NVMe PCIe 1TB, not on boot M.2 NVMe

Message 1 of 85 (8,644 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dead Space Remake Freezing computer / DirectX Error / Driver Crash

Community Manager

Hi Everyone, 

I wanted to check if anyone is still running into the error:

"DirectX Function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The GPU will not respond to more commands"). GPU: "AMD Radeon VII", Driver: 22.11.2 (22.20.29.10-21130a-386220E-AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition). This error is usually caused by the graphics driver crashing; try reinstalling the latest drivers."

If so please try the following steps:

Spoiler

If they do not help us and the issue continues please let us know the following...

Platform:

PSN ID/Xbox GT:

Region:

Are you using an internal or external drive?

Are you using an HDD or SSD?

Date this issue started (is it still happening?)?

Is anything else happening?

If possible, share a Screenshot or Clip...

If on PC, please share a DxDiag

Cheers!

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

View in thread

Message 20 of 85 (12,222 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Apprentice

Correction: Dead Space is installed on my boot drive: Samsung 970 Plus 1TB NVMe

Message 2 of 85 (8,529 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have a Radeon VII, too. The Game freeze my pc after Nicoles First sentence. I thought I am the only ohne with this problem. I tried everything. Nothing worked.

Message 3 of 85 (8,514 Views)

★★ Novice

WOW!  my game freezes my whole PC as well, I have to hard reset my PC.

my setup is:

I9 10850K

z490 Aorus Pro AX

2x 16GB Trident Z

Asus TUF RTX 4080

i am able to play for 10 minutes and it freezes.

i formatted my whole PC and drives, reinstalled the game tried again and after 15 minutes it freezes

Message 4 of 85 (7,477 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Does anyone care about this issue. I can't play the game at all. I've tried all the fixes online. I can play about 10min or 1 hour and the BAM at random it crashes with DirextX error. I have a high spec system with a 4090 FE and a 980pro that game is installed on, and I don't have a overclock. I've tried it all. 

Message 5 of 85 (7,426 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Same damn issue and rolling back drivers is a waste of time cant even play this game since the first patch.  Before that first patch I had 17 hour of crash free gameplay.

Message 6 of 85 (7,409 Views)

★★ Novice

I Will monitor my PC temps when it freezes to see.

Message 7 of 85 (7,400 Views)

★★ Novice

So I think I fixed my issue, I removed all overclocks on my cpu and ram and redid everything from scratch.

Message 8 of 85 (7,350 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@D777G I hope it worked for you, i went to check mine but it wasn't overclocked, I'm just at a complete loss on what to do.
Message 9 of 85 (7,327 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I may have found a way. I play at 4k but it always crashes.  When I start the game I change it to 1080p for about 3to 5min. after that I change it back to 4k and I've been able to play for about 2hrs. 

I then saved and quit. I came back about 4hrs later and started it up again in 4k. it crashed. I changed it back to 1080p for 3min and back to 4k, it work again for my remainder of the game session. Might be a temp fix

Message 10 of 85 (7,299 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help