[Old Report] Dead Space Remake Freezing computer / DirectX Error / Driver Crash

by squiddlestiks

Original Post

Re: Dead Space Remake Freezing computer / DirectX Error / Driver Crash

★★★ Apprentice
@PumpDaddyKane Lemme try that, I play at UWQHD.
Message 11 of 85 (8,057 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Update: That did not change anything for me... Glad it worked for you @PumpDaddyKane.

Message 12 of 85 (8,051 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It has indeed crashed again on me within 10min after i tried that trick again. But it is definitely tied to resolution. I've left it at 1080p today for 1hr just to test on the pause menu a viola! no crash, very weird. I doubt we get a fix for this

Message 13 of 85 (8,000 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I have been getting these on and off since launch day, I'm certain it isn't tied to any specifications or settings, it seems to be an issue with shaders from what I can tell. Changing the resolution would force the shader cache to rebuild, I also noticed it would last longer when I rebooted my machine, something else that would also wipe that cache. This is going to be a problem they need to fix on their game itself, or maybe in conjunction with drivers, but I don't think the silence from the developers is doing this game any favors, especially because the only people who will deal with this * are people who love the game more than crashing every 2 hours and making it actually impossible to run impossible difficulty because I can't even make it to Chapter 4 without crashing.

Please just at least acknowledge it and give us a timeframe when I can expect to actually finish this game.

Message 14 of 85 (7,973 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I have found a way to bide the time until a resolution is made. My Steam Deck can play this game, albeit at 15-30 fps and super low settings and resolution. Not a viable solution, especially when people's computers are so much more powerful in comparison. 

EA Devs, please fix this game

Message 15 of 85 (7,937 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Update: Deleted the DeadSpace(2023) folder in Documents, and verified game files on Steam. The game now freezes my entire system on the warning screen. Probably because I have a saved game from my Steam Deck, and it appears that this game tries to load the game to the last save point automatically. Shame that this is happening

Message 16 of 85 (7,743 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Update: AMD Released driver version 23.2.1 with explicit support for Dead Space Remake. I did the update, and let it factory reset everything. Now the game appears to be running okay-ish... Albeit, 13 fps on low settings. I will adjust until I'm comfortable, but this is already leagues better. Thanks, AMD!

Update 20 minutes later: Made it through almost the entire first cut scene... Then my entire computer locked up again. Swing and a miss...

Message 17 of 85 (7,513 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same here. AMD 7950x. Rtx 4090. I have never crashed ever with any other game.

First 2 or 3 crashes came with the DirectX error, now the game freezes before just shutting down. Once it crashed my whole system, blue screen and all.

I will say that the first day of playing the game didn't crash during a 4hr sesh. Then the next time loading up and playing it crashed about every 20-30mins, so perhaps it could be something to do with reloading the saved shaders. Anyways, game is now unplayable, crashing far too frequent.

Message 18 of 85 (7,255 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Well, I'm glad it's not just me, but I really hope this gets fixed. Game is unplayable.

I just went out and bought a new RTX 3060 Ti and Dell 30" 4k monitor for this game, hoping that would fix the issues.

Still it freezes in the ship's cockpit that you see in the background of the main menu. At best, I can get halfway through Nicole's video message in the opening cutscene before it freezes. This is epically bad. Frown Frown Frown

Message 19 of 85 (7,230 Views)

Community Manager

Hi Everyone, 

I wanted to check if anyone is still running into the error:

"DirectX Function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The GPU will not respond to more commands"). GPU: "AMD Radeon VII", Driver: 22.11.2 (22.20.29.10-21130a-386220E-AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition). This error is usually caused by the graphics driver crashing; try reinstalling the latest drivers."

If so please try the following steps:

Spoiler

If they do not help us and the issue continues please let us know the following...

Platform:

PSN ID/Xbox GT:

Region:

Are you using an internal or external drive?

Are you using an HDD or SSD?

Date this issue started (is it still happening?)?

Is anything else happening?

If possible, share a Screenshot or Clip...

If on PC, please share a DxDiag

Cheers!

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 20 of 85 (12,217 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help