Re: ME:LE is more expensve in Africa than in US

by mcsupersport

Original Post

Accepted Solution

ME:LE is more expensive in Africa than in US

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

This is nothing more than feedback for EA and whoever their decision makers are.

Looking at the pricing structure for ME:LE for its eminent release, its a bit of a letdown that EA does not research variable income brackets between different financial regions, when they put in all the effort a few years ago to incorporate a market structure supporting regional pricing.

As it stands, ME:LE is more expensive in South Africa ($6,040 average annual income) than it is in most other regions, including the US ($65,850 average annual income). As such, this game, a clear favorite with the South African gaming community, will probably be out of reach of the average gaming consumer in the country. Even Argentina, a country with more than double the average annual income of South Africa, is treated with more respect, and given a more affordable price compared to other markets. For those interested, check Regional Steam pricing structure shown below:

https://steamdb.info/app/1328670/

C'mon EA, this isn't rocket science. Your business model should make you money, not put a game out of your consumers reach. Most companies, like Microsoft, incorporate this into their catalog pricing structure. Steam is full of great companies who respect their consumers pockets.

Anyhow, not a rant, just a statement to support my fellow South African consumers.

Message 1 of 2 (322 Views)

Accepted Solution

Just a note about South African price....I don't know this 100% BUT SA have a VAT tax system of 15%(if googlefu is correct) meaning that with VAT added you have a minimum price of 67.85$ US dollars, whereas they list it as 71.03 which could be a caused by other hidden taxes, extra costs of dealing with SA taxes, currency exchange costs, or different exchange rate used.  So it is likely not EA's fault that the game is more expensive, but instead it is your Governments tax scheme. 

Now Devil's Advocate.....

Now as for the household income goes, if you are making 6k a year, buying a 600+$ computer at a minimum to game on isn't to a smart idea....now mind you, people do buy insanely expensive PCs in US, but they are usually making a bank in money too.  Also why should Bioware/EA cut the price of a game that they worked hard to make, costs a bundle in Salaries, and marketing ,for  people who can't afford it just because they live in a different country??  Also with the advent of VPN, it is easier to confuse online markets and systems on where you live, and if you could unlock a game for half price by changing your country to a poorer one in the world, I guarantee you certain people would do it....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (277 Views)

All Replies

Just a note about South African price....I don't know this 100% BUT SA have a VAT tax system of 15%(if googlefu is correct) meaning that with VAT added you have a minimum price of 67.85$ US dollars, whereas they list it as 71.03 which could be a caused by other hidden taxes, extra costs of dealing with SA taxes, currency exchange costs, or different exchange rate used.  So it is likely not EA's fault that the game is more expensive, but instead it is your Governments tax scheme. 

Now Devil's Advocate.....

Now as for the household income goes, if you are making 6k a year, buying a 600+$ computer at a minimum to game on isn't to a smart idea....now mind you, people do buy insanely expensive PCs in US, but they are usually making a bank in money too.  Also why should Bioware/EA cut the price of a game that they worked hard to make, costs a bundle in Salaries, and marketing ,for  people who can't afford it just because they live in a different country??  Also with the advent of VPN, it is easier to confuse online markets and systems on where you live, and if you could unlock a game for half price by changing your country to a poorer one in the world, I guarantee you certain people would do it....

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 2 of 2 (278 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help