Terra Invicta

Terra Invicta

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Hooded Horse  [developer] Oct 21, 2022 @ 1:19pm
Steam Deck: Current Issues
Hi Everyone!

Terra Invicta has been rated verified on Steam Deck. While that's pretty cool for us, this rating comes from an independent process and at a stage earlier than we expected, so we think there are some continuing issues that players should be aware of.

1) First, memory usage. For now, everyone using the Steam Deck should set the visual settings to Low, to avoid problems that might occur especially in the late-game. We are working on VRAM usage for the upcoming build 0.3.28, which may help with memory errors once it's live, but it hasn't been tested yet and further problems may persist.

2) UI sizing and other issues. We are unsure the extent to which we will be able to look into issues and refinements for the Steam Deck, but if we can it would be at a later stage of Early Access.

Please feel free to use this thread to discuss Steam Deck related topics with other players.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
Warnstaff Oct 21, 2022 @ 1:28pm 
With the UI sizing, I think giving the user the ability to resize to their heart's content with a big fat warning about funkyness with the UI would go a long way to solving that issue. I personally would probably go with +20% or so. Others more, others less.
GUN Oct 23, 2022 @ 9:44am 
I bought this only because it got verified as I can't get enough of the Deck! Glad I did as it's a great game and wouldn't have tried it otherwise. Hopefully you'll continue to consider Steam Deck users going forward. Thanks
mrolli Oct 27, 2022 @ 9:26pm 
Temporary FIx for VRAM issues that worked most of the time:
Save + Restart the game after big battles (or mulitple smaller ones). That seems to clear up most of the memory.
Game crashed generally when it reached max physical RAM. 32GB is just enough to get trough a 30 ship battle. but unless you restart the game, memory usage doesn't really drop back down much and the game crashes in the next battle.
Don't use any Speedsetting over 3 in big Battles, after the Fleets open fire.
bigL Nov 1, 2022 @ 12:34pm 
I researched counter insurgency and guerrilla warfare. However, Unrest and Stabilize missions still only only give me .5. Is that a bug or am I missing something?
mpachaliev Nov 3, 2022 @ 8:20pm 
Please just give us a UI scale - all else can wait!
Just finished a playthrough and I gotta say that it was a RAM hell. Memory usage is certainly unoptimised even on the lowest of low settings, causing frequent stutters and crashes, of particular note being;
1)After clicking on a distant hab in the solar system, which yeets the screen from Earth to Uranus and the game to desktop
2)Having a mothership bulldoze a ship of yours and bulldoze the game too
3)Starting a space fight might require you restarting the game
4)Finishing a space battle requires you to do it once more
5)Ending credits after finishing the game will also close the game for you

On a more 'working as intended' note, Alien ships that escaped to the ends of space should simply disengage, than have you coordinate in 3rd space how to land that final plasma shot for 20 minutes to get the much needed exotics from a 2 mothership fleet. It is not fun, having your ships flying left and right around a disabled alien ship. Simply implement a 40k km escape or design a better ai to assume control and do it for you. I would like the former, because the second feels like a lot of work. On that same note, fights that last to long also cause a crash(60 minute mark)

It would appreciate it if you could let the 'manage allies/rivals' UI be dragable, appearing above the set nation policy UI, be scalable or appearing on top of the 'Set nation policy' UI. I sometimes forget to rival other nations beforehand and end up wasting a turn, before declaring war

Another optimisation would be the option to disable automatic recentering, in particular when you assign missions to your councilors and the game takes you over to the next unassigned councilor, hijacking your camera and interrupting what you were doing(say constructing a hab, waiting for a fleet engagement etc). It's disorienting and interferes with your activities in a rather forceful manner, making you dread middle and end of the month mission phases in lategame.

Overall, I had a fun experience at first, but it became an obsession in the end. I wanted to finish a game, just for the sake of finishing it and I had my experience gradually become worse. I will pick up the game again at some point, but not in its current state. Too many CTDs for me to handle.
Jonesmz Dec 26, 2022 @ 1:42pm 
regardless of ui sizing, the game need more attention to thumbstick handling. forcing mouse emulation is no good
winnie Jan 2, 2023 @ 4:10pm 
I don't believe this game would be playable on such small screens.

But who knows.

I think that beyond ui scaling also windows movement should be added. It would benefit other players as well.
-- scippie -- Feb 9, 2023 @ 1:35pm 
How are the controls on the Deck? Does it use the controller (for example, navigate through buttons with the d-pad, things like that) or is it simply using the trackpad or the touch screen as a mouse?
r-s-w Feb 9, 2023 @ 3:45pm 
It uses the trackpad as the mouse. D pad isn’t used as far as I can recall. Don’t know if there is a community layout for it.
However, buyer beware on this game ……

Its basically unplayable on Deck due to 1 main reason : the UI size makes it impossible to read a lot of stuff.
I appreciate the game is still early access and the Devs are working hard on all sorts of stuff, but the game is marked as fully certified on Deck. Again, not necessarily the Devs fault because it’s Valve that assess verification, but the Valve tester must have had 20/20 vision when he tested it.
The Devs have mentioned above that they will look in to UI scaling option (Oct 2022) but also say that they don’t know how possible it will be (aka -it’s complicated I guess).
To be honest I regret buying this game, and I’m a little annoyed that it should receive full Valve certification when it doesn’t deserve it.
It’s also clear that it is well down the Devs list of priorities to think about.

A major patch released today and ….
Still no UI scale option, no mention of it from the Devs.

This game is playable on deck, with caveats.

Why it carries a verified badge is beyond me.
-- scippie -- Feb 10, 2023 @ 12:27am 
Ok. I am really looking forward to play 4X games (or similar) on my Deck. I love 4X games but I never play them because I can't spend that much time behind my keyboard for gaming, but can spend more time on the coach or in bed with the Deck. But that requires good controls. Mouse with thumbstick is not good controls, so I'll pass (for now?).
Currently, I don't think any 4X game is playable on the Deck because of controls (and other reasons).
Cass Feb 13, 2023 @ 10:45am 
Without UI scale wont buy the game, that's for sure.
dustfang61 Feb 15, 2023 @ 12:52am 
Originally posted by -- scippie --:
Ok. I am really looking forward to play 4X games (or similar) on my Deck. I love 4X games but I never play them because I can't spend that much time behind my keyboard for gaming, but can spend more time on the coach or in bed with the Deck. But that requires good controls. Mouse with thumbstick is not good controls, so I'll pass (for now?).
Currently, I don't think any 4X game is playable on the Deck because of controls (and other reasons).
Actually endless space 2 has been pretty fun on the deck! Sadly I tried playing stellaris, hoi4 and distant worlds 2 with a terrible experience. Anything that had paragraphs of text to read will be a grind on deck currently
-- scippie -- Feb 15, 2023 @ 12:57am 
I'll certainly take a look at Endless Space 2. I can, however, say that I am having lots of fun with Stellaris. It's not a good experience when you need to do the tutorials (so I did them on the PC first), but once you understand how the game works, I feel like it is really fun.
dustfang61 Feb 17, 2023 @ 4:18pm 
stellaris will be terrible mid to late game! the deck doesnt have the CPU power to keep up without it looking like a power point show! another good game for the deck is masters of orion 2. i got the deck for road trips, flights and camping while away from the desktop, you gotta keep in mind the deck isnt a laptop or desktop so its power will be limited compared to a beefy pc. try to stick to games that doesnt look too intense on the cpu, gpu. i had hard deck crashes playing devil may cry lol doom enteral plays alright though
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
Per page: 1530 50