Game is choosing incorrect graphics card in multi GPU systems

by jje1701954

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game is choosing incorrect graphics card in multi GPU systems

★★★ Newbie

My system has a 3070TI as the main graphics card and a 1070TI for physics / compute functionality.  The 1070 is not hooked up to any monitors and is not the main GPU in the system.  Yet, the game will run the game on the 1070, which then needs to run the game back through the MB to the 3070 in order to output to a monitor.  Game will only run in windowed mode @ 10 - 20 fps.  Dead Space 2023 is the only game that exhibits this issue on my system.

Is there any way to force the game to use the primary GPU in the system?  Command when launching the exe or configuration file setting?

Message 1 of 7 (1,685 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game is choosing incorrect graphics card in multi GPU systems

Community Manager
@jje1701954 If you use the Nvidia control panel or windows gaming settings can you default to the 3070 instead? Also to confirm are you plugged into the 3070 with your monitor cable?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (1,642 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager
@jje1701954 If you use the Nvidia control panel or windows gaming settings can you default to the 3070 instead? Also to confirm are you plugged into the 3070 with your monitor cable?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 7 (1,643 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@EA_IlliumI tried both of these options and i have the same exact problem
I am using a laptop

Message 3 of 7 (1,618 Views)

★★★ Novice

This sounds like my issue as well.

I booted up the game today to start my New Game+ run, but the game will now only run in windowed mode with 10-20 fps. The in-game settings says full screen, but it's not and choosing other options does nothing. I cannot even change the resolution in the settings - the menu doesn't even give me the option to choose other resolutions anymore. 3050Ti laptop, I beat the entire game without issues and now the game is broken.

Message 4 of 7 (1,593 Views)

★★★ Novice

Bumping this since it is still an issue with no response. The game is using my integrated graphics only and 0% activity on my dedicated gpu. Manually setting the game to use the dedicated gpu DOES NOT WORK. This is the only game I have issues with, and it's unplayable in its current state.

Message 5 of 7 (1,548 Views)

★★★ Novice

I solved the issue.

Apparently, this game and other EA titles have issues with iGPU RAM allocation. If your RAM allocation to the iGPU is too high, your game will refuse to recognize the dedicated GPU. To fix the issue, restart your laptop and open BIOS. Lower your RAM allocation (I lowered mine from 4 GB to 2 GB), and now the game will recognize your dedicated GPU and run properly.

What a stupid problem to have. I just wasted days of my life figuring this out, thanks for nothing EA. 

Message 6 of 7 (1,533 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@PaddyOCanagerThanks for solving the issue I have in the problem too I used your way and it worked and finally * * EA

Message 7 of 7 (628 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help