Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIX] - "Can't run The Sims 4 with the video card in this system" in macOS

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? the latest online one
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? a lot
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? The stupid new EA app for Mac doesn't work on older macs. I paid for my games & packs in good faith as my mac was compatible with your minimum requirements. Now you've forced a new app on us it has different requirements meaning I can no longer play the games I have paid for.
What happens when the bug occurs? nothing as your stupid app won't download
What do you expect to see? my game
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. You made a stupid new app that doesn't work

Your stupid new EA app for Mac doesn't work on older macs. I paid for my games & packs in good faith as my mac was compatible with your minimum requirements. Now you've forced a new app on us it has different requirements meaning I can no longer play the games I have paid for.

I have been playing & paying for The Sims since the OG version in 2001. I'm really angry tbh. Is this how you treat loyal customers?

Edit - edited title to indicate fix (Bluebellflora)

Message 2 of 103 (2,132 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mac can't run Sims 4 with the video card in this system

[ Edited ]

INFO - Post Marked as Solution for Visibility

If you're seeing this exact error, please repair the game in the EA App.  Select Game Library > Sims 4 > Manage > Repair.

If that doesn't help, please provide the information listed below.

@leighbeta @CabbageDynamite @grigs200 @jennifermstone @skelstera @Rosievondee @heygertie @noshky @4qdslf9nvd8n @Lizzie_P33 

Please provide the following information for reference, in one post, even if you've already posted some of it:

• Is there anything in ConfigOverride, inside Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4, and if so, does it help to empty the folder?
  • Do you use mods or custom content, and if so, does removing the Mods folder help?
  • Have you tried repairing Sims 4 in the EA App, and did it help?
  • Do you run an antivirus or cleaner app, and if so, which one(s)?
  • What operating system does your Mac run, both name and version?
  • What are the full specs of your Mac?  Please list everything under About This Mac except for the serial number.

Please also list the location where your game is installed.  To do so, open Terminal (in Applications > Utilities) and enter this command:

find / -name "The Sims 4.app" 2>/dev/null

and post the results.  You can black out your username, but please leave the rest intact.  You'll have multiple results even from a single install, so don't worry about that.

CM edit: highlighted post.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 26 of 103 (3,930 Views)

All Replies

The EAApp has changed the min requirements AFTER I paid for games

★★ Novice

I have a Macbook and was using Origin. I bought multiple add ons to the Sims 4 and have been playing for over a year quite happily. I paid a lot of money for these games based on the fact my Mac met the minimum requirements to play them. Now suddenly the EA App requires a different OS which I can't use & I no longer have access to my paid for games. I'm pretty angry tbh. I bought them in good faith based on their requirements being compatible with my system.

How can they just change the requirements AFTER I have paid for them? I've spent hundreds of pounds on games that are now totally unusable because they decided to make a change nobody asked for. I either want Origin back or a refund. wtf?

Message 1 of 103 (2,104 Views)

Re: The EAApp has changed the min requirements AFTER I paid for games

@leighbeta

Does Origin no longer work for you?

Which macOS are you running?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 103 (2,078 Views)

Re: The stupid new EA app for Mac doesn't support older macs

Community Manager

@leighbeta wrote:

Your stupid new EA app for Mac doesn't work on older macs. I paid for my games & packs in good faith as my mac was compatible with your minimum requirements. Now you've forced a new app on us it has different requirements meaning I can no longer play the games I have paid for.

@leighbeta, as per [ANNOUNCEMENT] The EA app for Mac has arrived!, "*Origin for Mac is still available to download for Macs running macOS Mojave or older."

Hope this helps.

EA_LeeuwAHQ

For the English Answers HQ forums:
  • Having trouble with your EA account? Post on the EA Services – General Questions board, NOT the EA app boards.
  • Want to chat about the EA app, share feedback, report bugs, or get help with technical issues? Head over here.
Message 4 of 103 (2,050 Views)

The Sims 4 video card error

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I finally had to migrate my Origin account to the EA app, everything went ok on that end but now my Sims 4 Game won't start.

I click on Play on the EA app, it opens the game and then an error message appears. My laptop is fully updated so now I am just very confused on what to do next.

This is a link to a google doc with the full report from my game. Also attached is a screen shot of the error message that appears. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hm7FnH-6zQh6EOvqK7wT6ggSNzFy1bo7IuDYAGsMCds/edit?usp=sharing

Any help will be appreciated, I hope to get it solved before the Log in rewards start. Thank you. 

Translated Report (Full Report Below) ------------------------------------- Process: The Sims 4 [6409] Path: /Users/USER/*/The Sims 4.app/Contents/MacOS/The Sims 4 Identifier: com.ea.mac.thesims4 Versi...
Message 5 of 103 (1,966 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 video card error

★★★ Newbie
@CabbageDynamite hi! also a Mac user and im sorry i am no help but i just want to say almost ever mac user is experiencing this so email EA so they can fix this problem faster
Message 6 of 103 (1,951 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@EA_Leeuw wrote:

@leighbeta, as per [ANNOUNCEMENT] The EA app for Mac has arrived!, "*Origin for Mac is still available to download for Macs running macOS Mojave or older."

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, this still seems to leave a gap that I’m trying to troubleshoot for my kid. They have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) running macOS Monterrey 12.7.5. They've been playing Sims 4 for years via Origin, but were forced to upgrade to the EA app today and now they can no longer run Sims 4.

When we try to open Sims 4, we get the following error:

"Can't run The Sims 4 with the video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and that the latest video drivers are installed.

0e6d1221:1df4e8dc:8001000a:a7097531"

This is what I mean by a gap. It appears that the EA app version of Sims 4 is requiring newer hardware than the Origin app version did. But because the Origin app is limited to Mojave and older, it means we can no longer access Origin and thus no longer can run the app.

As the original poster stated, changing the minimum software and hardware requirements after someone has purchased software is pretty poor practice. Please either provide a workaround for this situation or modify the requirements for Origin so we can go back to running the software that worked.

Message 7 of 103 (1,945 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 video card error

@CabbageDynamite

Can you post a screenshot of the error message please.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 8 of 103 (1,933 Views)

Community Manager

@grigs200, that error doesn't seem to be related to the EA app, to be fair, but to the game itself. There's a post from @Bluebellflora here “Unrecognized Video Card” error on Mac that might help you.

EA_LeeuwAHQ

For the English Answers HQ forums:
  • Having trouble with your EA account? Post on the EA Services – General Questions board, NOT the EA app boards.
  • Want to chat about the EA app, share feedback, report bugs, or get help with technical issues? Head over here.
Message 9 of 103 (1,926 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am experiencing the same problem. I am on a 2021 MacBook Air which is fully up to date with the last OS (Sonoma). I have always played sims on a Mac since day one. I last played Sim 4 two weeks ago on Origin without any issues. Went to play today and it said I was required I move to the EA app to play the Sims, downloaded the app without issue, went to launch the game....the same game that ran 2 weeks ago without issue.. and was told I don't have the required graphics card. I'm not buying new computer parts for this, as much as I historically loved Sims 1 through 3 the current game isn't worth me buying a new machine. If it's not fixed this is the end of my time with the sims which is a shame because I've loved this game since the original.

Message 10 of 103 (1,917 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help