Controller disconnects mid game and when trying to reconnect cant do anything

by dj_zehti

Original Post

Re: Controller disconnects mid game and when trying to reconnect cant do anythin

★★★★★ Novice

Can confirm the bug still exists as of tonight in NHL23.  Happened to a teammate tonight and we had to back out and forfeit the game as a result.  Exact same behavior.

Since @Walapalapera has given a re-creation scenario, have the devs made any progress?

Message 61 of 82 (1,685 Views)

Re: Controller disconnects mid game and when trying to reconnect cant do anythin

Community Manager

@wadesworld 

I don't have an update on this, unfortunately. It's a very difficult one to reproduce and we get a small number of reports of it. I have 2 Series 2 controllers and neither one of them are disconnecting. I used to have this problem, but that stopped quite a while back. Should we have some news on this, it'll be relayed. Otherwise, the best I can advise is to either plug in your controller or use a non-Elite Series one. As always, make sure your controller's firmware is up to date.

Aljo.png
Message 62 of 82 (1,647 Views)

★★★ Novice

It really isn't all that difficult to reproduce. All I have to do is turn off my controller and turn it on during a game and it happens. While I'm not getting very many random disconnects anymore, my controller has died a couple of times in the past couple weeks during games and each time I was unable to play after reconnecting. Turning off the console and turning it back on didn't fix the issue. Only quitting the game and restarting fixed it. Again this isn't happening through other games. Only NHL. 

Message 63 of 82 (1,317 Views)

Community Manager

@rednyte 

When I have this happen, I can plug in my controller and select my side. It then works again. That is the best suggestion I can make currently. We're aware of this issue so hopefully, it's resolved in the future.

One other thing, do you happen to have anything else plugged in to the USB ports? Possibly, control is being assigned to a different device.

Aljo.png
Message 64 of 82 (1,283 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Aljothat is impossible during an EASHL game, at least that's impossible for me. In fact if EA could make that possible would be a huge step forward. Could you get EA to make that possible?

Message 65 of 82 (1,278 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Aljo to answer your question, nothing is connected to my USB ports. I don't use the USB ports on my console. 

Message 66 of 82 (1,277 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Aljo my overall belief is that the disconnect behavior in EASHL is identical to the behavior in all game modes, however, because it isn't possible to pick sides in EASHL you hit a corner case that causes unknown behavior. Sometimes, my guy doesn't move at all. Other times it's like the down thumb stick button and my poke check button are stuck. This is the same behavior if I'm in the menus. 

Message 67 of 82 (1,267 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Aljo wrote:

@rednyte 

When I have this happen, I can plug in my controller and select my side. It then works again. That is the best suggestion I can make currently. We're aware of this issue so hopefully, it's resolved in the future.

Please share how you select a side during an EASHL game where this happens.

Message 68 of 82 (1,260 Views)

Community Manager

@rednyte wrote:

@EA_Aljo my overall belief is that the disconnect behavior in EASHL is identical to the behavior in all game modes, however, because it isn't possible to pick sides in EASHL you hit a corner case that causes unknown behavior. Sometimes, my guy doesn't move at all. Other times it's like the down thumb stick button and my poke check button are stuck. This is the same behavior if I'm in the menus. 

Yes. That's correct. I was able to resolve this in single player modes with what I mentioned, but as you said, it doesn't work for EASHL. Can you try swapping out all your gear? Also, have you tried any other troubleshooting steps? If you haven't power cycled in awhile, try that now with these steps: unplug your modem/router and console. After 2 minutes plug in the modem/router. Let them come back online completely. Then plug in your console and start it up. Let me know if that helps or not. Thanks!

Aljo.png
Message 69 of 82 (1,249 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yup just had this had happen to me in NHL 23 and got booted for poor sportsmanship. Kind of iron because you have to be a good sport to play this frustrating game. 

Message 70 of 82 (902 Views)