Re: How do Steam/Origin keys work?

by PhantomSquat

Original Post

How do Steam/Origin keys work?

★★★★ Novice

I am trying to weigh the options of whether to buy the game on Origin or Steam. Given the recent integration of Steam and EA via EA Play, does any know if I buy a digital copy of Mass Effect Legendary Edition on Steam, will I be able to launch it from Origin and vice versa? Or, if purchased from Steam, will it only be launchable from Steam and not be present in the my Origin library?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5 (973 Views)

It is my understanding that if you unlock on Steam, it is launched through Steam, which then launches Origin to start the game....

Personally, I try to use the platform that the game is ultimately going to use to buy the game, unless there is just too good of a deal elsewhere.  Basically, I use Origin for EA games, Steam for things like The Elder Scrolls, UbiSoft Connect for things like FarCry, and so on.  To me it just creates too many issues and potential conflicts to do otherwise, as I don't know how many threads I have seen where people are having issues connecting or launching a game from one platform that then uses another to launch the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 5 (950 Views)

[ Edited ]

@PhantomSquat 

You should be able to launch the games from Origin or from Steam if you have the game on Steam.

If you launch from Origin, Steam is started and the game launces, if you launce from Steam, Origin is started and the game launces.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Isaac Asimov
Message 3 of 5 (939 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @PhantomSquat,

Just to add on to what's been mentioned here, we do have a breakdown of how various games interact with Origin/Steam here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/troubleshooting-ea-games-on-steam/ 

Notably in this case:

If I have already purchased a game on Origin, can I play it on Steam?

No — games purchased on Origin can only be played on Origin.

While you can manually add non-Steam games to your Steam library and they'll technically appear there, it will still launch Origin to start the game if it was purchased on Origin.

If you purchase this title on Steam you will still need to connect it to an Origin account as part of the install/launch process.

Do I always need Origin to play EA games in my Steam library?

You may need Origin to launch some EA games from Steam.

When you do, Steam will tell you the game needs to be launched using a third-party DRM and will show Origin software installation in the system requirements.

In this case the game may appear in your Origin library, but will still open Steam if you try to install or launch it from your Origin library.

Essentially Origin will be used to some extent in either case, but you should ultimately expect to be using the launcher for whichever platform the game's purchased on. 

Mako.png
Message 4 of 5 (891 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you I think I likely just stick with Origin in that case!

Message 5 of 5 (817 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help