Separate monitor for map

by Gattlin

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Separate monitor for map

★ Guide

In BF4 we used to be able to put the radar map on a separate screen"Monitor". I liked it, for users that can use it

it was handy for clearing your game window up. Altho a bit late in production It would be nice to see this as an option

maybe later in portal or something Standard smile

Message 1 of 18 (1,332 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Separate monitor for map

★ Pro

@Gattlin wrote:

In BF4 we used to be able to put the radar map on a separate screen"Monitor". I liked it, for users that can use it

it was handy for clearing your game window up. Altho a bit late in production It would be nice to see this as an option

In my opinion this is just in-game cheating. God some of the people that whined and whinged about about being 3D spotting or on a min-map. Yet used a 2nd screen with a full map with every vehicle and infantry current location without spotting thinking that it is ok. What a bad joke! 

Sure any one could use on a single screen but you needed to switch between the two. It should never have existed

No, this is not a commander mode feature, even as a commander you still had less visibility of enemy then this map feature.

I hope this feature never see the light of day again. 

View in thread

Message 2 of 18 (1,312 Views)

All Replies

★ Pro

@Gattlin wrote:

In my opinion this is just in-game cheating. God some of the people that whined and whinged about about being 3D spotting or on a min-map. Yet used a 2nd screen with a full map with every vehicle and infantry current location without spotting thinking that it is ok. What a bad joke! 

Sure any one could use on a single screen but you needed to switch between the two. It should never have existed

No, this is not a commander mode feature, even as a commander you still had less visibility of enemy then this map feature.

I hope this feature never see the light of day again. 

Message 2 of 18 (1,313 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Gattlin I disagree and could only imagine it if this option will also work for "console" players with a 2nd TV or "Monitor" setup... however it would be a huge disadvantage for console players and with crossplay we don't need such "unbalance" features because I want to have things fair.
Message 3 of 18 (1,309 Views)

★ Guide

The map does not  give you something you don't already have

I like my map i tad on the big side so this helped with that.

Message 4 of 18 (1,264 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Sorry to say, but some of the negative comments provided above regarding the BF4 Battlescreen are simply not correct...

So let's get the hard facts down:

1. You did not have more information on the Battlescreen than you otherwise did not have already on your switchscreen, when you flicked away from the game scoreboard to look at the map.  Because that was essentially what it was, just on a permanent basis if using the Battlescreen, as it was named back then.
  2. This feature was available to all players, also to those playing on the consoles.  Touchscreens, iPads, smartphones...   EA made an app available which enabled most 'smart-devices' to use this feature, if having a second smart-device in your home.
  3. It did not show anything more than what also the team's Commander could see in the game.
  4. It did not show all the enemies on the map, only the spotted ones.  Same with the enemy vehicles, only the spotted were shown, and only for as long as the spot duration to ween off.  

For beginners to learn the game and the map, I definitely think this was a good pair of 'training wheels' to get them well on their way.  For more experienced players, then I agree this definitely gave a serious advantage if playing against enemy players not aware of it/using it.  So could aka be disabled for the experienced players when getting above a certain XP...    

Message 5 of 18 (1,184 Views)

★ Novice
@CyberDyme Well said
Message 6 of 18 (1,165 Views)

★★ Guide

Come on...lets try to not turn this into another sweaty sweatfest, where everyone is looking for any small advantage they can get over other players.

Message 7 of 18 (1,099 Views)

★ Guide

Huh I just have a little screen over there I like sweaty makes sure I'm working ok. I'm not much for kd you'all probably can tell I like challenges if it don't happen it doesn't 

Message 8 of 18 (1,090 Views)

★ Pro
@CyberDyme The negative comments can be valid. When you have someone on comms acting as a commander to clan mates. Informing them of the location of players. When hud(minimap) is disable but Battlescreen is not. The same players even used during competitive play when available. This is one of the function DICE add for fun that end up giving friends/clans a huge advantage on 3rd party comms.

1. You do not see the issue of having a full map permanently up with the location of every spotted player. That is a huge advantage to UCAV users and other long range weapons users.
2. Battlescreen was not a mobile app it was a 2nd screen function, it was available on PC and Next gen for free with the game.
Commander was mobile app and it prevented you from playing in the same server.
3. Expect the commander was not in game.
4. Shoot, gadgets, passive and active are all methods of spotting, this was for the whole map.

Even you can see how seriously exploitive it can be otherwise you would not have suggested to disable above a certain XP.
Message 9 of 18 (1,074 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@DingoKillr ,

The negative comments cannot be valid when not based on the facts and I called them out.  So sorry for that.

And you continue with comments you appear to raise to me specifically, so will try and respond please...

@DingoKillrYou do not see the issue of having a full map permanently up with the location of every spotted player. That is a huge advantage to UCAV users and other long range weapons users.

Honestly, no not much.  And I am a reasonable strong UCAV player myself, never used the Battlescreen for that myself, as its simply not good enough to be of any help for that.  That map may indicate to you where one or more just spotted enemy players may be out in the distance, but its zero help to get you to hit them as you need, due to the severely restricted flight maneuvering of the UCAV.  I dont think I ever once switched to or looked at the battlescreen to support any UCAV targeting.  Simply not good enough at all for that.  The only things that really works for that is 1. Experience on the map to know where group of camping enemies typically might hang out.  2. Use the MAV for recon flights to see exact enemy placements.  3.or by what is actually by far the best way to get on target, you need to test fire a few UCAVS before you can hone in on getting to your enemies.  As there typically are several hinderances/challenges on the flight path...  The mortar has its own radarscan, so no use for the battlescreen.  The SUAV, exact same as for the UCAV.  And here as Recon, the MAV is the perfect partner for the SUAV to scan for possible enemy targets.  Battlescreen gives you a top down look at the field, but that doesn't at all give you what you really need of info to get to the target with any of those long range weapon, as its the horizontal flight/ballistic path and all the obstacles on the path that are key.  

@DingoKillr   When hud(minimap) is disable but Battlescreen is not.

The battlescreen does not show enemies if the 2d/3d spotting is disabled.  So if you dont have the hud/minimap but you have the battlescreen with red tacos for the enemies on it flashing up when spotted, its because the server owner has done a poor job then and enabled that feature.  As otherwise, you will not see any enemies at all on the battlescreen.  So it is of zero help then, except you get a 2d display on the map and all your friendlies shown across it.  So a top view of what you otherwise have in horizontal view with your soldier in the game.

@DingoKillr  The same players even used during competitive play when available. This is one of the function DICE add for fun that end up giving friends/clans a huge advantage on 3rd party comms.

Yes, like it or not, collaborating and communicating team players always have the edge in games like Battlefield...

@DingoKillr Battlescreen was not a mobile app it was a 2nd screen function, it was available on PC and Next gen for free with the game.

OK sorry for maybe not using the right wording here.  Battlescreen was a webbased app.  So you logged into Battlelog, also on your mobile devices!  :o)

And if having your soldier active, then on the Battlelog screen you could launch the Battlescreen app.  Hence EA's challenge of supporting all the OS/web browser platforms out there to keep it running well for us all.  Because yes, it was a mobile (web) app, as that is how the majority of players used it/accessed it.  iPad, smartphone or mobile laptop, next to your console or stationary gaming PC.  Yes, the well equipped PC users with a permanent secondary screen could also show it there.  But that was not the majority.

@DingoKillr Expect the commander was not in game.

Not exactly sure what point it is you try to make here?   It was you in your first post claiming that the Battlescreen was showing even more info than what the Commander had.  While I said that was simply not correct.  Because it was factually not so.

@DingoKillr Even you can see how seriously exploitive it can be otherwise you would not have suggested to disable above a certain XP.

I only suggested it could be disabled over a certain XP level, if it was deemed to harsh for some to have in the game for all.  Personally I encourage communication and coordination in the Battlefield game and personally don't see a big problem with the battlescreen honestly.  And I am not like an organized clan player at all.  Never have been.  In modern time and day, most soldiers out in the field are today fully connected and have also interactive maps with enemy placements and activities on those screens.  So why not in BF games in modern settings.

Message 10 of 18 (1,033 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help