Your first nhl game and your favorite nhl game.

by Intuitive-tumult

Original Post

Your first nhl game and your favorite nhl game.

My first nhl game was nhl 95. My favorite nhl game is nhl 24 because of the x factors. Which was your first game and favorite nhl game?

Message 1 of 16 (382 Views)

Re: Your first nhl game and your favorite nhl game.

First game was NHLPA Hockey on Sega.

Favorite game is probably NHL 13. It was the pinnacle of EASHL (being able to customize your skate blades for better speed/agility, stick curve & flex, etc) plus the added inclusion of GM Connected.

Although GM connected was poorly implemented with too much reliance on remote assets which made the entire mode slow to crawl while navigating menus, making trades, etc - simply being able to manage a team against your friends for multiple seasons was enough for many of us to endure the cumbersome navigation.

Message 2 of 16 (373 Views)

Champion

NHL 93 was my 1st back on the SEGA Genesis.  My favorite will always be NHL 09.  It brought us EASHL and how I had met my best gaming buddy still to this day.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 16 (353 Views)

Champion

First EA game was NHLPA for the Sega.  I remember seeing the demo playing on a machine at the mall and was blown away by the "3D" graphics.

First hockey video game was Face Off!  for the PC.  Pretty simple, but you could edit an entire league and play out the games.  Had a neat ( for the time ) feature where when you took a shot it would change views and let you pick your shot against the goalie.

I'm not sure what my all-time favorite might be.  I spent a ton of time in my youth simulating leagues with Hockey League Simulator 2 ( which integrated with Wayne Gretzky Hockey 3 which was cool ).  NHL 95 will always have a spot in the top list for me based on nostalgia alone.  For the 'modern' EA games it's hard to say.  I do have a soft spot for NHL 16.  For all of its warts there was something nice about having fixed club builds that all had the same skating stats.  Being able to play a build without feeling forced into a "speed, speed, speed" meta was kind of refreshing. 

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 16 (341 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I started at the beginning of EA's hockey games. Both on PC and on Sega. I even bought a sega for NHL. I have played every EA NHL Hockey. The worst was NHL 07, it had so many bugs that were never fixed. My favorite is NHL24, despite the few bugs it has. My all time favorite was Wayne Gretzky Hockey 3.Hockey League Simulator 2. All time worst was Brett Hull Hockey. You could only score by shooting from outside the blueline. Otherwise the goalies stopped everything. However when you were just outside the blueline, the goalie didnt react to the shot. Just stood there and let it go in

Message 5 of 16 (324 Views)

★★★★ Novice

NHL06 was the first game I played, but NHL08 was the first one I got addicted to. NHL11 and NHL14 are two of the best games I've ever played, but I think NHL14 takes the top spot. NHL11 had the best soundtrack by a large margin, NHL14 and NHL17 battle for second.

NHL24 is cool, but it isn't the high that NHL14 was. 

Message 6 of 16 (306 Views)

★★ Apprentice

My first was curtesy of my brother in the 94-96 range, I'm sure. Personally, if I'm going very nostalgic, I think of NHL 99 on N64 would be the most "quotable" Ex. Freight Train Choo Woo! Oooo he got his bones rattled! Love that stuff.

As far as my prime of playing, which is like 09 to now, I would say that peak NHL was 17-19. When they had the NBC broadcast package with Doc it felt the most immersive and gameplay has basically been the same otherwise.

Good topic!

Message 7 of 16 (244 Views)

@Intuitive-tumult Thanks for the feedback everyone. I enjoy reading all your replies.
Message 8 of 16 (195 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

First was NHLPA HOCKEY 93, I still remember playing this game as if it was yesterday.
Best game/best time was NHL14-15 (Xbox360). The good times when the community was strong and everyone gathering in the lobbies, chatting (when the society/gaming compagnies still had a backbone and authorized chat box),  matching up with random friends from there then launch in drop-in. Good times.

Message 9 of 16 (191 Views)

★★ Guide

EA Hockey on the Sega Mega Drive when I was 16. Was introduced to it by my mum's partner that was a big Cunucks fan. I didn't know anything about the sport until then. Still don't follow the sport but I' have never missed a year of the game since the beginning. 

I honestly can't pick a favourite, I've loved the vast majority of of them, its why I keep buying it every year.

This year (24) is by far the worst of the series. I still play it everyday but I can't say I get anywhere near as much enjoyment than I had in previous years.

Message 10 of 16 (165 Views)

nhl-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help