Re: Answers HQ Online Security Newsletter - May

by EA_Shepard

Original Post

Answers HQ Online Security Newsletter - May

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hello everyone, welcome to the seventh edition of Answers HQ Online Security Newsletter!

Last month, we covered an interesting topic regarding the security of your privacy (and more) while streaming games. If you haven't had a chance to check out this issue or want to refresh your knowledge, be sure to check out this link! 🤓

Additionally, in the past months we have covered many other topics that pay attention to safety when playing online. From previous issues you can learn more about:

This month we will face an unfortunate situation when your device is attacked by malware. Unfortunate because, after reading the previous editions of the newsletter, you should be quite well prepared to face the threats that await you in the online world. 😉

So, let's get to this month's topic.

Ah, I would have nearly forgotten!

As every month, each participant of the discussion, challenge or quiz will receive a unique badge for the forum collection!

6.png

Security focus - Malware 

• What exactly is malware? 

A common misconception is that malware is just another word for a computer virus. That's partially true. The term "malware" is short for malicious software. Malware includes not only viruses but also Trojans, spyware, ransomware, and worms. All the mentioned threats differ in their operation, but they have one goal: to expose our data to danger.

• How to recognise you are affected by malware?

If your computer starts running slowly after the operating system loads, this may be a sign that there is malware on your computer. Slow performance can be caused by the excessive use of processor resources by malicious software. This rule applies to some extent even to computers with high specifications.

Take a look at your browser to see if it has new toolbars, new extensions, or a new homepage. Do windows with advertisements or notifications appear unexpectedly while you're browsing the Internet? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, it's possible that your browser has been infected.

Additionally, any windows that pop up unexpectedly while using your computer, unknowingly installed applications and programs, and general system instability may also indicate the presence of malware.

• How to get rid of malware?

Removing malware from your computer typically involves scanning your computer with an antivirus program. Most free versions of antivirus programs are capable of handling this task. However, if you are dealing with a stubborn and recurring problem, you need to take a few additional steps.

1. First, disconnect your device from the internet. Malware can re-download copies of itself without your knowledge, so conventional malware removal might not be effective if the device remains connected to the internet. Moreover, your private data may be at risk of being compromised.
  2. Start your computer in Safe Mode (this is different from a clean boot).
  3. When your computer starts in this mode and is disconnected from the internet, perform a full malware scan again.
  4. If the problem appeared, when using a web browser, it is a good time to clear its cache and cookies.
  • Change Your Passwords

If you suspect that your private data might have been compromised, it's crucial to change your passwords for the most critical services you use. For tips on password management, refer to one of the previous editions of our newsletter - Answers HQ Online Security Newsletter - March.

• Don't download cracks or cracked versions of the games

As we mentioned in one of our previous newsletters, exercise caution when downloading files from the internet. Additionally, refrain from downloading cracked versions of games; not only does this violate terms of service agreements, but it also increases the risk of inadvertently downloading malicious software.

• Refrain from downloading "freebies" from the internet.

Be particularly vigilant if you are strongly encouraged to download a free game, demo, or game expansion from source different than official. First, verify that the source from which you are downloading is reputable. If the game isn't available directly from the producers website, or if there's no official redirection to another site from the producers website, there's a high likelihood that the offer's description is misleading. For these and other tips on safe online practices, refer to an interview with our expert - Senior Director of Game Security & Anti-Cheat.

Info Hub

ROYALFLUSH

Challenge:

Answers HQ Online Security Newsletter Quiz - May

Spoiler
==KC0FBUvQZE4RnRsCMU/q-y/rktziziD-kmuferkjiR-sjbzvoeY-wamphE-JP-tdeckaE/wyskcpeeX-qgmrocfwD-CHG/5l/zsg.uu.lzfists//:ftxnx

Spoiler
sZrDdXPH/uc-obbszu/=TTBlujN3FWL/i-o/gsT-azoibkwuiX-louztavW-uwvbtX-WX-aflcutP/mkekaqheN-mytugkU-nnpksfrI-PH/5f/nqg.kh.sqceccr//:xrnut

Spoiler
Vo mtg bteuq qe blljo zvm ulydo dcg,
Fg dggqavrv tfv fjmgtf kvrzh.
Ilm wvrbdxd or ilx lzqtsqf uogv,
Csc adlvtpy czyk prrblwo, hd rsusbo.
Xalge ebbzb o prka wwrr'r fjfk,
Ueph ldsam srervbo ytgmet rlj fga.
Aozaqz frw dfrbc rtt srrs u svuhj,
Wul ladn'dp nxicl ehrk dnaa, izi'a ywp cfr?
Adpyawbv'a h kezzi wucqy,
Sivk fgxyv vsca cmb new negyo.
Yunn fpctxwuu qwrjw, cks'jx ejh ny idpem,
Wsu qydg rltc wvrwsim ulapl ulsng.

Untitled.pngKuba.png
Message 1 of 47 (962 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Notes.

1:

Spoiler

[r, n, b, q, k, b, n, r] [p, p, p, ., p, p, p, p] [., ., ., ., ., ., ., .] [., ., ., p, ., ., ., .] [., ., P, P, ., ., ., .] [., ., ., ., ., ., ., .] [P, P, ., ., P, P, P, P] [R, N, B, Q, K, B, N, R]

= rnbqkbnr/ppp1pppp/8/3p4/2PP4/8/PP2PPPP/RNBQKBNR

Seems to be chess related. 

Setup of a chess game after the moves 1. D4 D5 2. C4

Now getting distracted reading about 

Spoiler
Chessography algorithms

but I think I'm going down the wrong track.

--

ABAAA AAAAA ABABB BAAAB ABBAB AAABA ABBAB ABBAA AABAB BAABB BAAAB AABAA AAABB

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

AHQ Guardian - Volunteer Moderator

ihopewellmeetagain
Message 2 of 47 (925 Views)

Rif.: Answers HQ Online Security Newsletter - May

Hero

Interesting... the clue provided in the final part of the survey indicates, according to Copilot, ...

Spoiler
The diagram represents an initial arrangement of chessmen on a chessboard. Each letter corresponds to a piece. I loved chess!
scacchi.png
  • R: Torre (rook)
  • N: Cavallo (knight)
  • B: Alfiere (bishop)
  • Q: Regina (queen)
  • K: Re (king)
  • P: Pedone (pawn)

NEVER FEAR, BAFAN IS HERE!

[Bafan The Wolfman]

CCP Hero Banner

Message 3 of 47 (923 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@EA_Kuba 

Very interesting newsletter. Thumbs up

Message 4 of 47 (842 Views)

Community Manager

Great newsletter! 👍

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 5 of 47 (748 Views)

@EA_Kuba 

Yet again, another great newsletter to help us keep ourselves and others safe. 

The needs of the many,
outweigh the needs of the few or one. --Spock--

Please note: I am a community volunteer – I do not work for EA.
Me Too – If you also have this problem – first post on thread has this button.
XP – For helpful comments (and to help others 'level up').
Mark As Solution – To help others find the answer to the issue now & in the future.
Message 6 of 47 (654 Views)

Champion

Yes, very interesting newsletter just as the other ones.

But concerning the challenge I am totally at a loss Frown

Message 7 of 47 (646 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Yes, this month's challenge leaves me clueless.

Message 8 of 47 (619 Views)

Hero

@SharpGoblin wrote:

Yes, this month's challenge leaves me clueless.

Very much so. I'm sure someone will work it out though.

AHQ Guardian - Volunteer Moderator

ihopewellmeetagain
Message 9 of 47 (605 Views)

thx for a great newsletter i really appreciate it your work. Even though i rarely respond to you, you should know i read everything , if you shipping out the news. 🌹🙏

Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ TSTO - Die Simpsons Springfield
❤️ Sims Freeplay, Sims Mobile , Sims Serie (Mac)
Message 10 of 47 (531 Views)