Re: The EA app is stuck on preparing

by Kat_MacD

Original Post

Re: The EA App is Stuck On Preparing

★★★★★ Newbie

Had the same problem. Took me awhile to fix it. For me, what I had to do was clear the app cash to stop the "download" and then download the base game WITHOUT add-ons or DLC. (you can do that later)

Message 161 of 166 (836 Views)

Re: The EA App is Stuck On Preparing

★★★ Newbie
@5543Mj Thank you, deselecting the addons solved my problem!
Message 162 of 166 (831 Views)

★★★ Newbie

for all who still facing that problem i solved and i want to help you , i just  linked my  ea account to steam and then i downloaded the EA Play ladder script by the you-tuber

Trouble Chute and that was to help me add all ea games or only sims 4  to the  steam library and download it from steam , you need to delete the sims 4 that you have downloaded from ea don't  forget , after you download it from steam it would work so normal and you can find your packs inside the game ... i wish that helped you guys
Message 163 of 166 (702 Views)

Re: EA App Stuck on "Preparing Update"

★★ Novice

@EA_Shepard - I had this issue (stuck on 'Preparing Update' whenever I try and download a game) and was able to figure out a solution. Credits to newsharks from https://www.reddit.com/r/EAApp/comments/12nqok3/game_downloads_stuck_in_preparing_my_solution_for/

It seems related to EABackgroundServices service permission.

I changed the Log on as: to 'This account' from 'Local System account' (this was the default) and that fixed my issues. I was able to download games without issues. 

There are two ways you can sign into Windows 10/11.

1) Via Microsoft email + pin

2) Via local account

I was using #1 (Microsoft email + pin). I also didn't have a local account. I had to make one (Settings > Your Info > Sign in with a local user instead). Then I used the local user credentials for Log on as: 'This account' and afterwards it worked without issues (I had to restart the service first). 

Perhaps EABackgroundServices couldn't acquire the required permissions when the user is using the Microsoft email + pin login method whereas it could via the local account login method? Just a theory.

Could be something to pass on to the QA / Eng team to see if they can reproduce the issue (stuck on 'Preparing Update') - using a fresh PC with Microsoft email login based system, and not using a local user account.

Message 164 of 166 (433 Views)

Re: EA App Stuck on "Preparing Update"

Community Manager

@BigFishNZ wrote:

@EA_Shepard - I had this issue (stuck on 'Preparing Update' whenever I try and download a game) and was able to figure out a solution. Credits to newsharks from https://www.reddit.com/r/EAApp/comments/12nqok3/game_downloads_stuck_in_preparing_my_solution_for/

It seems related to EABackgroundServices service permission.

I changed the Log on as: to 'This account' from 'Local System account' (this was the default) and that fixed my issues. I was able to download games without issues. 

There are two ways you can sign into Windows 10/11.

1) Via Microsoft email + pin

2) Via local account

I was using #1 (Microsoft email + pin). I also didn't have a local account. I had to make one (Settings > Your Info > Sign in with a local user instead). Then I used the local user credentials for Log on as: 'This account' and afterwards it worked without issues (I had to restart the service first). 

Perhaps EABackgroundServices couldn't acquire the required permissions when the user is using the Microsoft email + pin login method whereas it could via the local account login method? Just a theory.

Could be something to pass on to the QA / Eng team to see if they can reproduce the issue (stuck on 'Preparing Update') - using a fresh PC with Microsoft email login based system, and not using a local user account.

I appreciate this one! Will keep note of this and pass it along to see if it infacts does help others as well!

Cheers!

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 165 of 166 (420 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I tried to play Sims Medieval, which is over a decade old.  Why does it take EA over an hour to "prepare" a decades old game?!?!?!?!

Message 166 of 166 (118 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help