All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Lined gloves

I'm using lined gloves to do my dishes, but they don't seem to lest very long -- they will develop cracks or holes, so water will get inside, and that will cause a number of issues.

Does anyone know something better than the below glove?

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

5 recommendations

jrs8084

Premium Member

I order safety gloves for work for a variety of purposes.

Sure, you can get heavier gauge ones, but for washing dishes, I think single use Nitrile/Latex gloves would be more practical.

That said, Madge says you should soak you hands in the dishwater,

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by jrs8084:

I order safety gloves for work for a variety of purposes.

Sure, you can get heavier gauge ones, but for washing dishes, I think single use Nitrile/Latex gloves would be more practical.

I have a bunch of those, but they don't work for me to wash dishes -- for that, I must use lined gloves, and they should be somewhat longer than the usual single use gloves.

That said, Madge says you should soak you hands in the dishwater,

?!?  

JRB Ware
They pushed me out.
join:2022-04-04
Wilmington

1 recommendation

JRB Ware to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Dishwasher?

Bobcat00
join:2018-09-19
New Jersey

3 recommendations

Bobcat00 to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Dishes? Get Playtex. They last a long time.
- »www.ocedar.com/product_c ··· -gloves/

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

3 recommendations

jrs8084 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· kq7JCbik

Most all gloves are going to be a tradeoff between dexterity and lifespan. I don't know many that will hold up longer than what you pictured. They only last so long.

I have some really heavy mil shoulder length nitrile gloves that might work, but the inside will likely get gamey/unpleasant long before they wear out.

And good gloves aren't cheap.

Reticent
join:2008-08-11
USA_PDX

2 recommendations

Reticent to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Why gloves?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to aurgathor

MVM

to aurgathor
When I need them, I just use the blue nitrile gloves. I get them from Sam's Club. A box of 200 is currently $9.48 (plus tax). The large size are snug, and I can use them for just about anything. When needed, I can even wash my hands with them on and then continue with what I was doing.

My sister doesn't use gloves for dish washing. She does wear one blue one and one of the clear food handling gloves when walking the dogs.

I remember Madge and the dish soap commercials from when I was young.

Mom always kept a couple pairs of the yellow Playtex gloves under the sink. There may still be some under there.

We use a lot of disposable wares now, so there's not many dishes that need washed anymore. We put the plastic spoons and knives in the dishwasher and use them until they break. The fork tines bend if washed, so they just get one use.

Reticent
USA_PDX

Reticent

… plastic … fork tines bend if …

dried by an oven element common in dishwashers?

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

1 recommendation

Raphion to aurgathor

to aurgathor
I don't get gloves with liners. That in-built liner will get pretty dirty and stinky, and is hard to clean. Instead, I wear knit gloves under some sort of "rubber" glove. The thickness and composition of both depending on what I'm doing.

Separate liner and outer have the benefit of preventing shear force on your skin, so you don't blister.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Reticent

MVM

to Reticent
said by Reticent:

… plastic … fork tines bend if …

dried by an oven element common in dishwashers?

Probably so. The spoons and knives are thicker. I think she can get about five washes out of them. I have not had to wash any of the dishes for a very long time.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to jrs8084

to jrs8084
said by jrs8084:

And good gloves aren't cheap.

True that. I use 22 mil nitrile for really heavy duty work, cost me around $20 a pair, but I get years of use from them.

Bobcat00
New Jersey

5 recommendations

Bobcat00 to billaustin

to billaustin
If you’re going through the trouble of washing plastic utensils, why not just buy stainless steel ones which will last for decades?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

said by Bobcat00:

If you’re going through the trouble of washing plastic utensils, why not just buy stainless steel ones which will last for decades?

The majority of the use is forks, which get thrown away. The dishwasher runs about once a week. Using regular wares would require daily washing.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Raphion

to Raphion
said by Raphion:

I don't get gloves with liners. That in-built liner will get pretty dirty and stinky, and is hard to clean.

Bleach can fix the stench.

Instead, I wear knit gloves under some sort of "rubber" glove. The thickness and composition of both depending on what I'm doing.

Separate liner and outer have the benefit of preventing shear force on your skin, so you don't blister

I actually tried separate gloves under waterproof gloves, but I prefer lined gloves.

True that. I use 22 mil nitrile for really heavy duty work, cost me around $20 a pair, but I get years of use from them.

I wouldn't mind the price -- I spent about $18 on 3 pairs (as one shown in my OP) and I got little over 6 months of use out of them. I use the disposable 5 mil nitriles for most everything (car repair, painting, etc.) except washing dishes. They are simply not suitable for that.

Anyhow, I decided to search for gloves since I did not get many recommendations, and looks like SHOWA has well over 100 different types of gloves since they have 70 just in chemical as per: »www.showagroup.com/us-en ··· chemical

Alas, their search functionality and filters are less than ideal, to put it mildly, and many of their gloves are only available in 12 packs. (SHOWA store on Amazon)

Bobcat00
New Jersey

3 recommendations

Bobcat00

Geez... Just get the yellow Playtex gloves. They're made for washing dishes!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Weird, those have PVC coating on them, it could it be UV damage?
You might be able to find a similar type and fit with nitrile or butyl based polymer.

(for those that don't get the Madge reference, it was a bit used to sell Palmolive dish soap »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Miner)

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

While I do have a skylight in my kitchen, UV should not be getting in and the gloves don't usually leave the kitchen. I have no black light or ozone generator either, and the LED light bulbs I have should not emit anything shorter than blue light.

I was looking at comparable gloves using other material, such as latex, butyl, or nitrile, but will be busy for at least the next week, so ordering have to wait for at least another week.
aurgathor

aurgathor to Bobcat00

to Bobcat00
said by Bobcat00:

Geez... Just get the yellow Playtex gloves. They're made for washing dishes!

I believe I have a pair of those yellow gloves, and I didn't find it suitable for dishwashing.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

1 recommendation

DocDrew to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Go for the waterproof gloves used by fishermen.
»www.amazon.com/Cordova-S ··· 61YZ6BR/

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

It's likely to be well insulated, but not waterproof enough to do dishes

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 recommendations

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by aurgathor:

You'll never know unless you stop making excuses and try them.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

1 recommendation

tp0d to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

While I do have a skylight in my kitchen, UV should not be getting in and the gloves don't usually leave the kitchen.

UV sounds like the issue. Store the gloves in a cupboard or somewhere dark, and see how long they last. Plastics dont do well with the sun, even in small amounts

-j

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by aurgathor:

You'll never know unless you stop making excuses and try them.

Nope. I can easily see the lack of sufficient waterproofing, especially when compared to this picture:

And if I'm not careful; occasionally, I may still get some water in.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to billaustin

MVM

to billaustin
for what you spend in a year on plastic you could buy enough ss utensils to keep the same wash frequency. we are a family of 4 and probably have 15-20 of each utensil, we run out of plates/bowls before we do eating utensils

Reticent
USA_PDX

2 recommendations

Reticent to aurgathor

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

I'm using lined gloves to do my dishes, but they don't seem to last very long …

Does anyone know something better …?

You haven't revealed just what you're putting into the wash water, or why you believe you need gloves.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

A few drops of "DAWN Ultra" plus the dirty dishes and utensils. However, the water is warm enough that lined gloves are strongly advised.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to davidg

MVM

to davidg
said by davidg:

for what you spend in a year on plastic you could buy enough ss utensils to keep the same wash frequency. we are a family of 4 and probably have 15-20 of each utensil, we run out of plates/bowls before we do eating utensils

We have plenty of wares collected over the last 50+ years. She chooses to spend on disposables instead of soap, hot water, and time required for daily washing. I'm okay with it because clean-up is quick and easy. We are down to three of us, and the third one eats most of her meals away from home.

Reticent
USA_PDX

1 recommendation

Reticent to aurgathor

to aurgathor

the water is warm enough that lined gloves are strongly advised.

How warm? ( Yes, exactly.) And why?

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I never measured it, and I'm not sure if a Non-Contact Digital Laser Temperature Gun will work correctly with warm water, or with wet objects.

In any case, warmer water cleans greasy stuff much better and faster, and with less dishwashing liquid.