Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

Complete GUIDE + Troubleshooting: How to play Generals on CNC:Online (Revora)

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1SkyMix_RMT May 22 2021, 01:41 AM
...GeneralsCentral is shutting down, so I'm saving one of the most useful guides here...

C&C:ONLINE WITH REVORA CREATIVE NETWORK

To play online using Revora you simply have to download and install gentool in your game, and create an account in cnc-online.net. After that, you just open your game and login in the Multiplayer > Online menu in-game using the credentials in your cnc-online account.

Check this topic for more details.

⚠ TROUBLESHOOTING: HOW TO FIX ERRORS AND CONNECTION PROBLEMS WITH CNC:ONLINE ⚠

Before trying anything else, make sure you are running the game as Administrator and compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

- I get �Unable to connect to other players� error!

This is likely caused by a strict NAT or Firewall in your network. To fix this you can try port-forwarding or using a VPN, try to port forward first, if it doesn't work, then try using a VPN. Check guides below.

If neither port forwarding or VPN works, try enabling "Send Delay" in the game's Option Menu and hitting "Refresh NAT" button.

Note: According to official EA Docs, "Send Delay" is meant to help connecting to online players. However, there must be a reason why it's not ON by default, so use it as last measure only.

- I get �Could not connect to C&C Generals Zero Hour Online� error!

Check your options menu and make sure "Online IP" is set to your local IP. Local IP's usually start with 192.168.x.x. If this doesn't work it is likely that your ISP has blocked ports that are needed to play on C&C:Online, you can use a VPN to fix this. Check guide below.

- I get �Failed to join - the game is a different version� error!

Make sure you're running Zero Hour on version 1.04 and have no mods installed. If that doesn't work, it is likely your game is running a cracked binary. To fix this, download and install GenPatcher. Run GenPatcher as Administrator, and then click "Apply fixes".

- I get �Your serial is already in use� error!

Check this video.

GUIDES

Port Forwarding Guide for C&C:ONLINE

Spoiler
In contrary to popular beliefs, you do NOT need to port-forward ANY of the following ports:

Attached Image

If you have port forwarded any of these ports I recommend you undo it now, some ports, specially port 80, could be dangerous to port forward.

The only port you need to forward uses the UDP protocol only and is the one you set here, in the options menu:

Attached Image

You can use any port you want, as long as it's not already being used by another device or application in your network. I personally use 27901.

We now need to forward the port we just set in the options menu, but before we do anything we need to make sure our machine's IP (local IP) is fixed, this is because port forwards are local IP dependent and if your machine uses DHCP, it might change local IP, meaning the port forward will stop working.

To do this, first open the Command Prompt by typing "cmd" in windows search, then press enter.

Type ipconfig in cmd and press enter, leave this window opened.

Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center, under View your active networks click Ethernet or Wi-Fi, go to Properties double click Internet Protocol Version 4, select Use the following IP address: and copy the IPs you have from the Command Prompt window into this menu, like so:

Attached Image

For the DNS servers, you can use 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1, if by any chance your internet stops working, try setting your DNS server to the same as your Default Gateway

Now we can do the actual port forwarding, it's very easy to port forward using a UPnP port-mapping tool, you can download one here, you need java to run it. Don't worry, I've been using it for a very long time and it's safe and virus free.

Some people get an error while trying to open this program, try to reinstall JAVA, if that doesn't work, try to download other versions of the same tool.

You can also use your router's control panel to port-forward, check tutorials online for your router model as it is slightly different for each router.

After downloading the app, open it and click "Connect", give it a minute, if it worked you will be able to see your External Address and Internal Address and that the connect button now changed to "Disconnect". If it didn't work and you received a message saying �cannot find router� try this OR click "PortMapper Settings..." and select a different UPnP library from the first 3 available in the drop-down menu (not the "dummy" one!) then try to connect again (If none of the 3 libraries worked, it means that you can't port forward using this method and will have to port forward in your router's control panel, check tutorials online for your router model as it is slightly different for each router or contact your ISP).

After successfully connecting click "Create", enter any description you want, and make sure "Use local host" is ticked, then click "Add", double click TCP and change to UDP and then set the External Port and Internal Port to the port you set in the game options menu, in my case it would be 27901. This is how it should look like:

Attached Image

Click "Save", your preset should now be under "Port mapping presets", select it and click "Use" the program should freeze for a few seconds, after that you should see in the "Log messages" that the port mapping was successful, your connection problem should now be fixed.

VPN Guide for C&C:ONLINE

Spoiler
I currently do not know any free VPN that works with Revora, if you do please reply to this and let us know.

You do not need to port forward if you use a VPN.

This post has been edited by SkyMix_RMT: Oct 16 2022, 01:57 AM

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 2FiRe^ArM May 22 2021, 02:41 AM
Topic Pinned.
Ty SkyMix_RMT <3

Clan: WbG

+
# 3fastAiR Jan 24 2022, 20:11 PM
Heres a few extra, unofficial tips I found useful over the years:
- If you lose sound in game, click options, then go back to the game and sound should restore (dont think this works with windows 10 or higher though)
- If you have played on revora before fine and then you cant log in for some reason, try changing names in the drop down list and then log in, that works quite alot.
- If the lobby is being laggy, just relog. (also relog if you go afk and come back, pre-empt a kick).
- If you are having laggy issues or log in issues, on the main menu go to options and click refresh NAT and then try log in again. If you still got problems, you probably need to retart ur computer and or router.
- If you screen goes all black, keys and the mouse still work. If you know zero hour well enough, you can eaisly quit the game back to desktop without seeing anything (I challenge you!).

And lastly, if you are having log in issues, have a look at cnconline or shatabrick and see if others are online (be warned though, if server is crashing it doesnt always kick people but prevents log ins, so there may still be people online for a while until they log out or eventually get kicked). cnconline website may go down if revora has as well btw.

If the server is down dont waste your time constantly trying to log in, go play ranger or radmin or do something else and then check back later. If you are sure its down, you can make a post in general discussion to bring it to peoples attention and someone will reset the server.

+
# 4SkyMix_RMT Jan 25 2022, 19:55 PM
QUOTE(fastAiR @ Jan 24 2022, 20:11 PM) *

- If you are having laggy issues or log in issues, on the main menu go to options and click refresh NAT and then try log in again. If you still got problems, you probably need to retart ur computer and or router.

Does "Refresh NAT" even do anything? Pretty sure it's a placebo button.

+
# 5SkyMix_RMT Oct 16 2022, 01:52 AM
QUOTE(SkyMix_RMT @ Jan 25 2022, 19:55 PM) *

Does "Refresh NAT" even do anything? Pretty sure it's a placebo button.

According to official EA notes, "Refresh NAT" and "Send Delay" is meant to help with connecting.

From UK User's Manual
IPB Image

From Readme file in the game directory
IPB Image

I have never experienced a scenario where it did anything, but I will update the guide to include this.

Also, I wonder if an HTTP proxy server could be used to help people, in the same way a VPN did... Must research.

This post has been edited by SkyMix_RMT: Oct 16 2022, 02:01 AM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)