Divinity: Original Sin 2

Divinity: Original Sin 2

View Stats:
Should I buy it?
Could anyone give me some Pro's and Con's of this game!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 44 comments
Pro: Combat is fun once you learn how it works (phys and mag shields etc)

Con: This is highly subjective but if you care about narrative and writing at all, it can be very cringe at times...

I'd say buy it.
Last edited by OldMemes.biz; Jul 6 @ 7:45pm
Buy now
Play 2 hours
If game bad refund
Character writing is amazing, combat is amazing, story is pretty good, graphics is pretty good, music is the absolutely stunning, UI is pretty decent, and world building is amazing.

Dunno what memes was talking about, DOS2 writing is significantly better than most games I've played.

If there's any downside it's this: stats actually matters, and different stats stacks multiplicatively (i.e. strength+crit rate+physical damage bonus+crit damage is better than having 4x the strength). It's not strictly a downside per se, it just means the game gets significantly more difficult if you don't stop and do a little maths.

Edit: another arguable downside is that the game isn't all linear progression, so you need to explore a bit to the side to get to most of the content. Good if you hate being railroaded, bad if you want to focus only on the combat, which is where DOS2 shines the most.
Last edited by abaoabao2010; Jul 7 @ 6:36am
I liked the DOS1, but not much. I think I don't like DOS2.
My DOS2 opinion:
Pro:
- Good combat system
- Characters
- Steal mechanic (you can steal all from traders etc.)
- Graphics

Con:
- Quests manager (UI) is very wrong for me, I am confused all the time
- Combat is hard (FOR ME!) at Normal difficulty (Classic I guess?) - at harder fights I use arround 4-6 revives.

About story I don't know, I am in the half of the game, but I don't like it yet (DOS1 was bad for me). It's not fun game for me.

Buy it? For 12 bucks it's OK I guess, but for me is better to buy Pathfinder: WotR. (~170 hrs gameplay and you will enjoy it, but you need to understand the mechanics firts, after that you will love it)
Last edited by Hanzmeister; Jul 7 @ 5:07am
BOT Jul 7 @ 5:45am 
Originally posted by Hanzmeister:
My DOS2 opinion:
Pro:
- Good combat system
- Characters
- Graphics

Con:
- Combat is hard (FOR ME!) at Normal difficulty (Classic I guess?) - at harder fights I use arround 4-6 revives.

About story I don't know, I am in the half of the game, but I don't like it yet (DOS1 was bad for me). It's not fun game for me.

Buy it? For 12 bucks it's OK I guess, but for me is better to buy Pathfinder: WotR. (~170 hrs gameplay and you will enjoy it, but you need to understand the mechanics firts, after that you will love it)
you do classic mistakes.. you are not suppost to do damage bye your auto-atacks.. you are suppost to spamm abilities in the enemys face and combine them.
just focus on the enemys physical armor or magic armor and you will be estaunt to go for an tactician mode.

it is pretty easy.. i played solo honour and i had to struglle only a couple times.

the game is ment to use creativity and different solutions as to just walk in and atack. the whole point is using your imagination
Originally posted by OctopusTheKing:
Buy now
Play 2 hours
If game bad refund
Pretty bad advice for this game as you really can’t get a feel for it in less than two hours. You’d need closer to 10 or so to get a good enough feel to really make that decision.
Originally posted by Hanzmeister:
My DOS2 opinion:
Pro:
- Good combat system
- Characters
- Graphics

Con:

To sort of elaborate on these cons in here, this is a game where tracking quests isn’t really something you do much of. Instead, you kinda just flow from place to place, turning every stone along the way and complete most quests passively just by doing so. Many quests can be completed without ever “picking them up” in the first place. The objective triggers aren’t linked to the journal logs being checked off.

As for combat being hard, this varies from player to player. 90% of the time a player is struggling, it’s because their team comp is bad or how they built each character was done poorly.

For instance, it’s common for a first time player to build the typical RPG team of one sword and board tank, one healer, one ranged damage dealer and one melee damage dealer, often using an archer for ranged and either a two hander or dual dagger user for melee. Sounds like a solid team for a game like this, but it’s utter trash. Enemies won’t focus the tank, incoming damage is higher than the healer can fix based on the action economy and just having two damage dealers means breaking the defenses of your enemy to apply status effects takes too long, limiting how fast you can CC opponents and causing more damage to come your way.

As mentioned above, stat scaling and the math behind it matters. But level scaling in this game is also very significant, including level scaling on gear. A level 8 character that fights with a weapon that is just level 4 deals the same damage as a level 4 character with a few stat buffs. This can be the difference between hitting for 50 damage or hitting for 125 damage if the level 8 had a level 8 weapon. This issue often arises when players find rare or powerful unique items and want to keep them awhile. You’re better off replacing the weapon every level up and your armor every 1-3 levels.

The two cons above are likely a cause of unfamiliarity with the game mechanics and trying to use strategies that work in similar games, but don’t translate here very well.

The game is actually pretty easy if you understand all these things and apply them. Not doing so makes it pretty hard. Some players struggle even on Explorer (easy) while others breeze through Tactician (hard) and need mods to offer any challenge to the combat.

Also, there’s nothing stopping you from wandering into areas too high level for you, meaning you might stumble into fights where the enemy can take a character down in one turn and it’d take you 5-6 turns just to break their defenses. While the game is open world on each map, it’s still pretty linear for most players. You usually have to follow the progression of what content fits your level and you have to complete nearly everything to keep up in experience. Only players with good understanding of the game can take on enemies multiple levels higher than themselves and win.
Originally posted by Myers Babe:

Thank you for all the answer! I think I will try it out
BOT Jul 8 @ 5:02am 

go on youtube.. watch gameplays.. and then you can decide if you want to buy or not. i do that with every game. sometimes i end up giving them back because the mechanic or menü or musik somethink just does not feel good for me.
Originally posted by BOT:

go on youtube.. watch gameplays.. and then you can decide if you want to buy or not. i do that with every game. sometimes i end up giving them back because the mechanic or menü or musik somethink just does not feel good for me.

Oh I always do that too, but often videos are either too mechanical with their reviews or are too biased because they love the game already, so I rather watch some videos and then ask around for opinions of people that have played it. The camera was off putting for me in this game because I dislike the top view, but It was fine in BG3 since It was such a good game, so I wanted to know if It's worth for other aspects!
Yaesh Jul 8 @ 1:27pm 
Hi!
Let me add my two cents to the conversation. I've started playing this game 5 times, and every time I got stuck in the first act because it felt unfair and too hard. Divinity 2 has a really high learning curve, with a terrible tutorial system and awful quest navigation.

In the first act, you need to plan your character build from level 1 to 8-9. You almost never have enough money to buy different gear, weapons, or skill books, and there's no way to respec your character's stats, skills, or talents until the second act (unless you have the expansion).

On top of that, the game’s logic breaks most of the stereotypes and habits we've learned from similar games. For example, having a team with two mages and two physical damage dealers is one of the worst setups. Tank or healer classes are basically useless, and putting points into health or resistances doesn’t help at all. Enemies will still kill you in 3-4 hits.

YouTube guides and Reddit discussions are mostly for players who already know the game and its mechanics. For instance, YouTuber Sin Tee has great builds, but even after 30 hours, his advice felt like nuclear physics to me.

Despite all this, I love the game and definitely recommend getting it on sale. Once you get the hang of the basics, the game’s combat system becomes one of the best in the genre. Interacting with the environment, using status effects, and creating cool skill combos is incredibly satisfying.

If you don’t mind using guides before playing, here are two tips that helped me a lot (no game spoilers or quest guides, only ingame mechanics). Red Flag Checklist[docs.google.com] and General Stuck-er Guide[docs.google.com]. I hope these tips are helpful and you find great enjoyment in the game.
Last edited by Yaesh; Jul 8 @ 1:36pm
Originally posted by Yaesh:
For example, having a team with two mages and two physical damage dealers is one of the worst setups
Have to correct you here because you’ve got it backwards. Two mages and two physical damage is actually the optimal setup. It’s a bit complex to get used to, but once you’ve gotten it down, this is the best way to play as you have less defenses to break on your enemies since you’re always able to target the weaker armor values. The difficulty comes in when you need to choose your appropriate targets and making sure your team is playing at a whole, rather than focusing on individual glory. Sure, that cluster of enemies would make for a great whirlwind from your two hander, but doing so means your mage can’t target that spot with a fireball without harming the knight.

Played well, 2/2 is definitely the way to go though.
Never had a problem with 2/2. I don't know why people think it's so bad. And I am talking Tactician too. And without gift bags.
Last edited by OldMemes.biz; Jul 8 @ 3:15pm
BOT Jul 8 @ 3:25pm 
i have over 700 hours on this game..
i played it with all classes and all combinations..
honour mode 2 lone wolfs. honour mode 4 chars. honour mode solo.

it is fun and so.. but it can be dull cuz you do mostly the same stuff. it depends how your view is on such games.
Originally posted by OldMemes.biz:
Never had a problem with 2/2. I don't know why people think it's so bad. And I am talking Tactician too. And without gift bags.
New players often struggle with it as they focus the same targets, breaking through both armors and things like that. Makes the setup feel worse than it is.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 44 comments
Per page: 1530 50