Steam Link

Steam Link

Steam Link Stuttering during Video Playback
I've noticed shortly after I received the latest Steam Client update that the stream to my physical Steam Link now stutters frequently when displaying video content - not when playing games or anything else. Anyone else seeing this?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
It would be helpful if you could get a shot of the Steam Link debug graph, by going into your SteamVR settings, enabling advanced settings, going under Steam Link, toggling the debug graph on, and then taking a screenshot when you encounter the problem.

I am worried you may be running into encode contention issues, but, it would be good to see either way to help diagnose.
I've been seeing this as well. The debug graph is under Steam VR settings?
I managed to enable the performance overlay - however, it only stays on-screen briefly until the screen "blinks" black for an instant, with the overlay being gone on it's return. The overlay button (hold 'back') is also not functional.
exeterfg May 11 @ 7:56pm 
I’m having the same issue and have been unable to find a fix.
I'm having a similar issue to this. Randomly blinking black screen while streaming with the audio cutting out during the blink.

The other thing I have as well is when moving the mouse around the cursor is responsive but anything it moves over to highlight on screen is sluggish to respond to, same with mouse clicks and scrolling with the scroll wheel.
exeterfg May 12 @ 7:26pm 
Originally posted by UwawaSmite:
I'm having a similar issue to this. Randomly blinking black screen while streaming with the audio cutting out during the blink.

The other thing I have as well is when moving the mouse around the cursor is responsive but anything it moves over to highlight on screen is sluggish to respond to, same with mouse clicks and scrolling with the scroll wheel.

This is the exact same problem I'm having. It also seems like moving the mouse makes the black screen blinks happen more than if I don't move the mouse.
KayHam May 14 @ 10:30am 
same, even on the FAST streaming settings
Grouf May 15 @ 1:14am 
I am having the same issue since a few days, and moving the cursor is indeed increasing the issue during video streaming (extremely visibile on twitch website).
And the debug graph also disapear after the first black "blink".
Last edited by Grouf; May 15 @ 1:33am
Yah I can't get the debug graph to stay up either. Disappears when blink happens.
Harlander May 17 @ 10:08pm 
I found fiddling about with the streaming settings helped this - I enabled HEVC encoding and disabled all of the hardware-based encoding/decoding settings except for the one for my discrete graphics card (NVIDIA in my case). That seemed to stop the blinking, allowed the overlay menu to work, and kept the debug graph onscreen.

(I still get heavy dropping when the "boot screen" is being displayed when first connecting the Steam Link, but that's probably a seperate issue)
UwawaSmite May 19 @ 10:28am 
Originally posted by Harlander:
I found fiddling about with the streaming settings helped this - I enabled HEVC encoding and disabled all of the hardware-based encoding/decoding settings except for the one for my discrete graphics card (NVIDIA in my case). That seemed to stop the blinking, allowed the overlay menu to work, and kept the debug graph onscreen.

(I still get heavy dropping when the "boot screen" is being displayed when first connecting the Steam Link, but that's probably a seperate issue)

Tried these settings cause I'm also running an NVIDIA card but sadly it did not work to me. Mouse delay is still there and the blinking black screen is still happening.
slouken May 24 @ 2:47pm 
Can you post a link to the Steam logs\streaming_log.txt on your PC? This sounds like the bandwidth for the stream is too high.
Here is the one from me https://file.io/2zOaSnCZRy7P
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
Per page: 1530 50