Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition

Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition

Jaeger Pilot Feb 25, 2015 @ 6:28pm
[solved] Need help getting mods to work
[Update] Solution: Installed ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated.

Hey, I'm having problems getting mods to work. I tested simple texture mods with Nexus Mod Manager, but no luck. In NMM everything seems fine, but in the game nothing shows up. Is there something I can do to check if NMM is configured correctly?
Last edited by Jaeger Pilot; Mar 1, 2015 @ 8:38am
< >
Showing 16-30 of 30 comments
R5CYA Feb 26, 2015 @ 2:37pm 
nope. nothing to do with the GOTY edition.
did you read the modding section of the setup guide?
Darkswirl Feb 26, 2015 @ 3:07pm 
Originally posted by Jaeger Pilot:
I guess I'll try FOMM and/or manual install. I'll worry about load order once I have more than one mod. For now, though, I am just trying to get one mod to work. Strange that I can't get mods for Fallout to work considering I have been modding Skyrim since release. Is it because of the GOTY edition? It failed to load DLCs as well at first.
GOTY edition doesn't make a difference; it's just including the base game as well as the DLC for one price. Also, if you failed to load DLC, you should really validate your game files if you haven't done so, already.
Jaeger Pilot Feb 27, 2015 @ 7:49am 
Originally posted by R5CYA:
Yep. Knew most of it already from modding Skyrim to death.
Last edited by Jaeger Pilot; Feb 27, 2015 @ 7:51am
Jaeger Pilot Feb 27, 2015 @ 7:50am 
Originally posted by Darkswirl:
GOTY edition doesn't make a difference; it's just including the base game as well as the DLC for one price. Also, if you failed to load DLC, you should really validate your game files if you haven't done so, already.
What I meant was that you manually had to go into the Data files or wassisname and tick off all the DLC modules.
R5CYA Feb 27, 2015 @ 7:52am 
Yep. Knew most of it already from Skyrim.
i was asking because all the mods in the guide work great together as long as you follow his load order and directions. i installed almost every mod he listed at one time and even a few more i liked and it fired right up.
Jaeger Pilot Feb 27, 2015 @ 7:56am 
Yep. Knew most of it already from Skyrim.
i was asking because all the mods in the guide work great together as long as you follow his load order and directions. i installed almost every mod he listed at one time and even a few more i liked and it fired right up.

The problem is (as far as I can tell) that NMM puts the files in the wrong place. Should [Fallout 3 directory] in settings point to the game root, or a sub folder? Now it points to F:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 3 goty
R5CYA Feb 27, 2015 @ 7:58am 
i've never had any problems with NMM putting anything in the wrong place. it's allways worked just as it should. you sure you're not "overthinking" this?
Jaeger Pilot Feb 27, 2015 @ 8:08am 
i've never had any problems with NMM putting anything in the wrong place. it's allways worked just as it should. you sure you're not "overthinking" this?

Well, if a texture mod works it should overwrite the default textures used. But since the game still displays the default textures, they are obviously still there.
Darkswirl Feb 27, 2015 @ 8:26am 

Well, if a texture mod works it should overwrite the default textures used. But since the game still displays the default textures, they are obviously still there.
NMM is still in its infancy; it's going to get a few things wrong, especially with bigger files like complete retextures and overhauls.

Smaller files are easier to sort and place for it, because they almost always are just an .esp.

I'd recommend manual installations for bigger files just so you can be sure it works.
R5CYA Feb 27, 2015 @ 9:03am 
i've installed hundreds of mods with NMM and had zero problems with it. add the iron sights mod. it'll be easy to see that it worked in first person. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/16787/?
Jaeger Pilot Feb 27, 2015 @ 10:57am 
I've tried installing a body mod manually. That worked without any problems.

That link doesn't link to iron sights mod.
R5CYA Feb 27, 2015 @ 11:54am 

That link doesn't link to iron sights mod.
that was odd. i wonder why the link directs you to the merge patches? here's the one it was supposed to link to. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/6938/?
make sure to add the one that corrsponds to mods you may have.
Last edited by R5CYA; Feb 27, 2015 @ 11:56am
Jaeger Pilot Mar 1, 2015 @ 8:37am 
I found the problem which solved the problem for most mods. Most mods requires a mod called "ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated". This should be mentioned at the top of all FO3 modding guides as it solved 90% of my issues.
R5CYA Mar 1, 2015 @ 9:14am 
you missed something when you read the mod section.

"2) Skip if you've already installed the Unofficial Fallout Patch.
Archive Invalidation lets mods change graphics.
Run this once (Program Version)[fallout3.nexusmods.com] and delete. Other methods are inconsistent.
Once done don't ever touch Archive Invalidation options in your Mod Manager."
i was surprised to find you never installed the updated unnoficial patch for all it's bug fixes. (and archive invalidation)
glad you figured out what it was!
Jaeger Pilot Mar 1, 2015 @ 9:19am 
you missed something when you read the mod section.

"2) Skip if you've already installed the Unofficial Fallout Patch.
Archive Invalidation lets mods change graphics.
Run this once (Program Version)[fallout3.nexusmods.com] and delete. Other methods are inconsistent.
Once done don't ever touch Archive Invalidation options in your Mod Manager."
i was surprised to find you never installed the updated unnoficial patch for all it's bug fixes. (and archive invalidation)
glad you figured out what it was!

I did install the Unofficial Fallout Patch. Not sure why it didn't work until I installed it manually.
< >
Showing 16-30 of 30 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Feb 25, 2015 @ 6:28pm