Capes
Really enjoyed this game. Played it through twice. A few questions (Spoilers)
Hey,

It's nice to see games being made in Australia they seem to be few and far between. Or I'm not looking hard enough. I played the game on console and beat it with the objectives twice. I'll likely run through the hardest difficulty when the patch drops for console.

I don't know why some people didn't like the writing but I thought it was pretty good. I kinda wanted to be a writer for games so I've seen some really awful works. It's not best grand story ever and there are flaws (name one story that doesn't have a few) but the characters are believable on the most part and work well.

Questions:

What was Seraph's goal throughout the story?
Honestly she 'says' one thing but it contradicts the reality of the world. How is letting Wildstar go and betraying the trust of the team possibly helping peace? He's obviously not rational and is quite happy to murder people, especially in his last scene where he's seen murdering people en masse. If that's her idea of peace, that's not worth defending and I sort of wish more characters called her and to a lesser degree Cruxus out on this.

She falls back on a tried and classic argument a lot of people do when cornered 'You don't understand' or 'There's history here'. She accuses Doctrine of not listening but refuses to speak plainly. Yet she's seen in the finale helping Mindfire.

The history also wasn't really explained at any point. I mean sure you can't go too indepth into history in game but you've got the archives conversations for it. Mindfire especially after she betrays the group should have grilled her hard because he's the one who trusted her the most, and y'know can read minds but didn't know she was going to do this because if he had, he would never have entrusted Wildstar to her.

How can they be sure Alpha is actually dead?
With Primax there was a big preparation for dealing with her invincibility but not for Alpha whose power is far more dangerous because you never know he's actually dead. There's no telling how many copies he has with how easy it is to duplicate him. Primax I doubt is in that suit 24/7 or if she is, that raises all sorts of other questions :D.

On Alpha leaving his fate unknown may have been the intention so he can be brought back later because I doubt things are going to transition peacefully but still... maybe there just wasn't enough mission space to cover him :D.

What are the plans of Spitfire Interactive in the future?
This might be something that can't be disclosed but will there be more content for Capes a second game or prequel or is it onto something else?
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
I'll take a crack at this:

Originally posted by Slowpeach:
What was Seraph's goal throughout the story?

Misguided neutrality and appeasement. She thinks that Alpha and Primax have an end goal where they'll stop or can be convinced to be more polite (instead of their actual plans to ever-increase their control to the whole nation, probably the world).

That's absolute nonsense, and you're right that it's not worth defending. Releasing Wildstar didn't make Alpha stop abducting people, it made Wildstar kidnap the heroes' loved ones.

Also, apparently Wildstar was just a Riddler-esque jerk instead of a Joker-esque monster back in "the good old days". Then he fell in love with Primax's sociopathy. So Seraph still thinks it's like Adam West Batman days instead of Heath Ledger Joker days.

How can they be sure Alpha is actually dead?

Honestly not sure. I will say it's a bit of a flaw in the story that only Primax gets a thorough arc of the heroes wearing her down and defeating her. Wildstar and Alpha don't really get their "infrastructure" worn down for a few missions before we eliminate them.

What are the plans of Spitfire Interactive in the future?

Don't know, but wish them well. I actually did like this game. Parts of the story could REALLY use fleshing out (wearing down the villains, the sudden pivot to "we don't kill" after wiping out mooks, etc), but it is a nice self-contained thing.
Slowpeach Jul 18 @ 12:59am 
Thanks for taking a crack at this :).

I think Wildstar lacking a build up made more sense. They were never particularly organised and basically rolled with whatever. This makes them easier to deal with. Their power too is not one that is massively problematic in terms of immortality. You know he's done.

The "We don't kill thing" despite throwing mooks off buildings willy nilly 'sort of' makes sense. It's different killing someone in self defence or in a combat scenario and it's one of the things ironically that annoys me about Batman (at least in what I've seen). Hesitating in these scenarios mean innocent people die as opposed to not caring whether a villain lives or dies which is never a good trade off. Whereas Mercurial straight up executing Primax in cold blood is different. Still the right call but nonetheless different.

However another thing that was odd is that if you aren't planning on killing these people what DO you do with them. I mean eventually they figure it out and Mercurial correctly states that they build the system to protect them and that probably extends beyond the city, so what can you do? That's what I say in general about idealistic who complain about things like this 'Well then what do you suggest we do instead?'. It's easy to say something sucks or is a bad idea, but if you haven't got a better one, then it's empty words. Doctrine as said never hid his intentions with regards to what he wanted to do to them.
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50