Horticular

Horticular

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
inDirection Games  [developer] Sep 17, 2022 @ 2:33am
Welcome to Horticular! (FAQ and Rules)
Hello Horticulars!

Welcome to the Horticular forum! 😊

This is the right place to ask questions about the game and, once released, share tips with other players here on Steam.

Ask a question
Just ask away right in this thread, or create a new discussion if you find that easier. Should you want to chat in real-time or show off your garden, you can always pop into the Horticular Discord[discord.gg].

Stay updated
There will be announcements on Horticular right here on Steam, but there is more work-in-progress material and previews on Discord.

Should you seek more behind-the-scenes information, check out the inDirection Games newsletter[indirectiongames.com]

Horticular outside of Steam
Discord[discord.gg]
Twitter

Basic Rules
  1. Keep it civil and inclusive for everyone. No personal attacks, inflammatory speech, discrimination, etc.
  2. Be reasonably on topic for everyone's ease of reading. Just make sure to read the thread description.
  3. No shameless self-promotion.
  4. Since I have limitations to languages I can moderate, this is an English-only forum.
FAQ

My game doesn't start at all!
Try starting without the launcher, either through one of the Steam play options or running Horticular.exe directly in the game folder. Also, report that this happens please! <3

Game crashes on launch!
Try running the game as an administrator, that has been known to fix it. Although we're yet not sure why, as it's a rare occurence. Again, let us know if this happens.

Do demo saves transfer?
Not officially as it might have hidden compatibility issues and I rather not risk anything. That said, you should be able to copy the save from the demo to the full game manually and in theory, it should work! See:

%localappdata%/inDirection Games/Horticular/Saves
%localappdata%/inDirection Games/Horticular Demo/Saves

Can I make changes to the game?
Definitely. Modding is a first-class feature of the game, including the editor used to make the game.

Sandbox mode?
Yes!
Last edited by inDirection Games; Jul 22 @ 6:51am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 43 comments
CorvusUrsa Jan 14, 2023 @ 8:12pm 
I adore the demo! So charming with just the right amount of challenge and balance in choice for garden style. Looking forward to the release!
inDirection Games  [developer] Jan 15, 2023 @ 4:32am 
Originally posted by CorvusUrsa:
I adore the demo! So charming with just the right amount of challenge and balance in choice for garden style. Looking forward to the release!
Hey Corvus, thanks a lot for the feedback and kind words! There's so much more I want to do, and I look forward to getting the complete experience in your hands.
Gametoon Jan 21, 2023 @ 9:15am 
Do you have any plan for multiplayer?
inDirection Games  [developer] Jan 21, 2023 @ 10:48am 
Originally posted by Gametoon:
Do you have any plan for multiplayer?
It's not off the table, but (and I could be wrong) I'm not sure how many would like it. And right now, there's bigger fish to fry so I will look into multiplayer (if and how) a bit later this year. Perhaps it could be a post-release update?

But if I would pursue it, it would be something like inviting your friend to view and tend to your garden. Kind of like a drop-in coop.
Cluas Jan 22, 2023 @ 4:52am 
Hello, is this your first game? Very good work, it is a sweet demo, found zero bugs so far. Its very straight forward, witch i enjoyed. Controls are easy, i got used to the pixel graphics pretty fast... Also the sound is good. Wish i could play this with my friends tho.

Compared to other demos out there now, this one rocks, wish you best of luck
inDirection Games  [developer] Jan 22, 2023 @ 7:16am 
Originally posted by Cluas:
Hello, is this your first game? Very good work, it is a sweet demo, found zero bugs so far. Its very straight forward, witch i enjoyed. Controls are easy, i got used to the pixel graphics pretty fast... Also the sound is good. Wish i could play this with my friends tho.

Compared to other demos out there now, this one rocks, wish you best of luck

Thank you so very much! That's interesting. Maybe multiplayer would be something to look into then if I keep getting questions about it! I honestly didn't think that...

And yes, it's my first proper game. I did a couple of XBLIG ones back in the day (2010 or so), but we don't talk about those! ^^
Nowhere Jan 22, 2023 @ 5:47pm 
Hello! First off, wanna say this is a lovely game! I really enjoyed the demo! I found it through the game Empires of the Undergrowth, who added the game as a "look at these other games" in their game.

So far i really enjoy what i am seeing and wanted to give some feedback, which of course is subjective and I am not sure its right here to post that, but I hope its okay.

I agree to Multiplayer would be nice to have. I love to play games like this with my wife. Just being able to share and work on one world together.

There are two things i wanna ask about/suggest.

The first one is heights. I am not sure if this is doable with this game, but when I saw water, I was wondering I could also make Waterfalls, "Hill Biomes" and such. I kinda was thinking of it in a bit the same way i thought about old rollercoaster tycoon games.

The second thing, any way to get biomes to combine, level up or get more busy?
Kinda like having two fitting plants on one field, like a tree and 2,3 mushrooms or combining different flowers.
Or when two biomes are touching each other like two goldfish biomes, they become one bigger biome where 3 instead of 2 goldfish can be? So it gets more busy on the screen. I would love to have one big pond with lots of fish swimming from one end to another.

Also two things that I wanna say I just dont know how I feel about yet and its more like things that I noticed.
First the Corrupted Gnomes. To me, whenever they attack I just feel I go gnome hunting for a minute and that's nothing that really adds to my game.

More like busywork whenever it happens before I go back to my game. Sadly I have no better idea but so far, it's not a mechanic that adds to the gameplay for me. (Which, others might totally like it and its really just me. 🙂 )

The second thing is every new day there is this screen that pops up, right when you try to hunt said corrupted gnomes. As this game isnt all to much of a economic Simulator, starting a new day with just a note of the income and the number of day instead of having it pop up and pause my screen. (As day changes happen quite often, its often quite noticeable.)

All in all though, I enjoy this game a lot and look forward to it, but I hope adding my thoughts/suggestions is okay!
starfruitwine Jan 22, 2023 @ 7:29pm 
Great game! I browse the gardening sims quite often looking for something with a little more challenge/strategy than just "click and wait" and this one was a lot of fun. I also really enjoy the art style, having grown up with 80s/90s PC games. I'm looking forward to the full game.

I do agree with comment about the new day screen interrupting the Corrupted interactions being a bit frustrating. I played the demo through twice and this is the only thing I didn't like.

The only other issue I ran into, which I think is more a problem with my design/play style, is that my frogs and Keepers kept getting stranded on the wrong side of the river that ran through my garden. At first I thought I'd trapped them when I was building or broke a habitat, but later when I wasn't doing anything at all, I'd still occasionally get an unhappy notification and have to pick one up and move them back to their home. I wasn't sure if this was working as intended or there was something I was missing.
inDirection Games  [developer] Jan 23, 2023 @ 6:29am 
Originally posted by Nowhere:
Hello! First off, wanna say this is a lovely game! I really enjoyed the demo! I found it through the game Empires of the Undergrowth, who added the game as a "look at these other games" in their game.

So far i really enjoy what i am seeing and wanted to give some feedback, which of course is subjective and I am not sure its right here to post that, but I hope its okay.

I agree to Multiplayer would be nice to have. I love to play games like this with my wife. Just being able to share and work on one world together.

There are two things i wanna ask about/suggest.

The first one is heights. I am not sure if this is doable with this game, but when I saw water, I was wondering I could also make Waterfalls, "Hill Biomes" and such. I kinda was thinking of it in a bit the same way i thought about old rollercoaster tycoon games.

The second thing, any way to get biomes to combine, level up or get more busy?
Kinda like having two fitting plants on one field, like a tree and 2,3 mushrooms or combining different flowers.
Or when two biomes are touching each other like two goldfish biomes, they become one bigger biome where 3 instead of 2 goldfish can be? So it gets more busy on the screen. I would love to have one big pond with lots of fish swimming from one end to another.

Also two things that I wanna say I just dont know how I feel about yet and its more like things that I noticed.
First the Corrupted Gnomes. To me, whenever they attack I just feel I go gnome hunting for a minute and that's nothing that really adds to my game.

More like busywork whenever it happens before I go back to my game. Sadly I have no better idea but so far, it's not a mechanic that adds to the gameplay for me. (Which, others might totally like it and its really just me. 🙂 )

The second thing is every new day there is this screen that pops up, right when you try to hunt said corrupted gnomes. As this game isnt all to much of a economic Simulator, starting a new day with just a note of the income and the number of day instead of having it pop up and pause my screen. (As day changes happen quite often, its often quite noticeable.)

All in all though, I enjoy this game a lot and look forward to it, but I hope adding my thoughts/suggestions is okay!

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback! Hearing what works well and works less well is invaluable to me at this stage.

Many things you mention are already on my table to look into for the full release (e.g. not having a pause between days). No promises on either end, but your voice has definitely been heard.

As to height differences, it's one of those far-off things that I would love to have. In the end, it's down to how much I can squeeze the tech in a decent time frame, but I will try my best.

And with the biome leveling up, I like the idea. I have had some similar ideas myself, for instance, that better items could make better biomes. So I'll see if I can do anything with that. In particular, habitat merging is an interesting thought.

Thanks again for taking your time, I'm looking forward to get cracking at the next stage of Horticular! 😊
inDirection Games  [developer] Jan 23, 2023 @ 6:40am 
Originally posted by starfruitwine:
Great game! I browse the gardening sims quite often looking for something with a little more challenge/strategy than just "click and wait" and this one was a lot of fun. I also really enjoy the art style, having grown up with 80s/90s PC games. I'm looking forward to the full game.

I do agree with comment about the new day screen interrupting the Corrupted interactions being a bit frustrating. I played the demo through twice and this is the only thing I didn't like.

The only other issue I ran into, which I think is more a problem with my design/play style, is that my frogs and Keepers kept getting stranded on the wrong side of the river that ran through my garden. At first I thought I'd trapped them when I was building or broke a habitat, but later when I wasn't doing anything at all, I'd still occasionally get an unhappy notification and have to pick one up and move them back to their home. I wasn't sure if this was working as intended or there was something I was missing.

Thanks for giving feedback! I wanted to inject some light challenges myself in an otherwise creative/calm game, so I'm glad it's appreciated.

The new day screen feedback is noted!

As to the creatures getting stranded, it might be a bug. Design-wise, the idea is that creatures can get lost when you're gardening or playing around with creatures (e.g. when accidentally moving a habitat). Sort of forcing you to remember and come back to your animals.

But the intent is also that they don't get lost by themselves for no reason. If this keeps popping up, I'll have to investigate it as that's not what I want.

Thanks again for giving feedback. It's really helpful for my upcoming work! <3
Last edited by inDirection Games; Jan 23, 2023 @ 6:40am
Roshire Jan 24, 2023 @ 12:14pm 
Hi, I saw the demo of your game on youtube and it looks so unique and interesting. I wanted to give it a try myself, but unfortunately for some reason I can't download the demo so I wondered if you might have any idea as to why this is happening.
On a more positive note: the game looks amazing! Keep up the good work :)
L0STinNARNIA Jan 24, 2023 @ 3:50pm 
I'm loving the demo, but I'm struggling a bit with the habitat mechanic. I have the "recipe" for a dragonfly habitat and am building with habitat view on - in fact I lucked into one dragonfly habitat and even copying the area directly in a second spot trying to attract more, with no luck. I'm not sure if I'm just dense, but it's a bit of a struggle. I would pay gold or nectar to have a council member or keeper be able to suggest some modifications to be made in the area so I can get my second dragonfly habitat up and running (or other type in the future, this is just my specific problem atm). Love the game! Great work :)
inDirection Games  [developer] Jan 25, 2023 @ 3:29am 
Originally posted by Roshire:
Hi, I saw the demo of your game on youtube and it looks so unique and interesting. I wanted to give it a try myself, but unfortunately for some reason I can't download the demo so I wondered if you might have any idea as to why this is happening.
On a more positive note: the game looks amazing! Keep up the good work :)

Oh, it doesn't download via Steam? Is there an error message or just no download button?

Just double-checking that you are on a 64-bit Windows or Linux. If not, perhaps Steam doesn't show the link.

I heard something about Steam issues yesterday, so maybe it works now?

If you have a supported system and it seems to be a Steam thing, just private message me and I can send you a link to download the demo from.
inDirection Games  [developer] Jan 25, 2023 @ 3:38am 
Originally posted by L0STinNARNIA:
I'm loving the demo, but I'm struggling a bit with the habitat mechanic. I have the "recipe" for a dragonfly habitat and am building with habitat view on - in fact I lucked into one dragonfly habitat and even copying the area directly in a second spot trying to attract more, with no luck. I'm not sure if I'm just dense, but it's a bit of a struggle. I would pay gold or nectar to have a council member or keeper be able to suggest some modifications to be made in the area so I can get my second dragonfly habitat up and running (or other type in the future, this is just my specific problem atm). Love the game! Great work :)

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

In the full release, I hope to make the game a bit more helpful with habitats, while still not saying exactly what to do. And your idea is an interesting one I didn't think of before.

As to your dragonfly, it should work to just copy an existing habitat. A bit of water, lots of tall stuff, some basking, and some vegetation. Maybe it is too close to the previous habitat? (same species habitats don't overlap).
Last edited by inDirection Games; Jan 25, 2023 @ 3:38am
Alyshae Feb 2, 2023 @ 11:53am 
Hi. Really cute little game and I was enjoying it until I started getting the grey/red rock thing. I can't figure out how to fix them and stuff is dying. I tried the glove that looks like a star thing and I get that charge wheel but no idea what each icon means, how to use it, etc. I've tried just digging up the plant, selling it, everything but cannot get rid of the grey/red rock icon. I just gave up and quit, but might get back to it with better info.
That would be my big suggestion, but seems promising otherwise.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 43 comments
Per page: 1530 50