The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos

The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Pawloch  [developer] Sep 28, 2022 @ 7:01am
Statement about producing other Voice Overs
As a person responsible for the production and directing of Polish VO, I'll answer your
questions about VO in other languages than Polish:

1. Why we will never start producing VO in language other than Polish:

I can't devote another year of my life to work 8-14 hours a day on a project that has already been released, for which I will not receive any money and for which I had to pay extra from my own pocket many, many times. Four years was enough for me. Sorry.
I can't afford it.

I have other responsibilities, a few jobs and a family to support.

Can I be replaced? Probably so, but at the moment, there is no one who would like to undertake it.

It is different to direct a VO in your mother tongue than in a foreign one. I might be able to deal with English, but it's impossible to direct actors not knowing the language (German, Italian, Russian, Spanish etc.)

2. But why not asking the community?

If community wants to do VO by their own- no problem. The requirements for what VO we'll accept are publicly available on our discord.

3. Why not ask THQ NORDIC? for assistance?

Claiming that THQ Nordic would finance it is nothing more than naive.
THQ Nordic has no interest in TCoM, and certainly in investing in this project.
Why would they have? They have a brand that they want to refresh in their own way.
From their point of view, it is another community product - no matter how big and popular.

4. "It can't be that hard right?"

Well - It is. This mod contains 52,000 lines of dialogue - The Witcher 3 and other large AAA titles have a comparable number, if not less. Although I understand how much community is in love with Gothic - you have to accept the fact that it is a niche franchise.

Also. Don't forget, we are a bunch of dudes, not a gamedev studio, and good VO costs money. Lots of money.

4. What about fundraising?

We are not interested in taking responsibility for someone else's money, whether we're talking about two dollars or tens of thousands.

Not to mention the fact that the real problems would occure later. Doubts, accusations and demands. No, thank you.

5. Why did you do the VO in Polish and not in English, like any normal team?

Because we are Poles, and we aimed mainly at the Polish community with this mod.

Not to mention that doing it in your native language was much simpler, cheaper and we were able to invite some famous Polish actors to cooperate.

We are extremely happy that the mod is also known in other countries. But for VO in English, we don't have the strength, time or money for this task. I can olny hope that this mythical language does not bother you in your adventures on Archolos.

If there are any other questions - I will try to answer them as soon as possible.
Last edited by Pawloch; May 27 @ 2:35am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
skazy Sep 28, 2022 @ 7:14am 
Playing the game with Polish VO never bothered me. And i think it would feel like watching an anime with english dub, it would feel wrong anyways. I heard some people complain about english VO for the original gothic. You cant make everyone happy at the same time
X4vv  [developer] Sep 28, 2022 @ 8:58am 
Originally posted by oltri:
2. But why not asking the community?

If community wants to do a VO by their own - no problem.
The requirements for what VO we'll accept are publicly available on our discord.
Nobody accepted the challenge so far.

Direct copy from our Discord:

Maybe I'll write what needs to be done for us to accept external dubbing: - 60 actors, minimum 50% of whom must be active professionals (theater, dubbing, film, audio books, radio) - 74 SVM sets, with different voices and 20 sets of ambients - recording 51 thousand lines, sorting according to our standards, creating edits for mixes - quality control of recordings by a sound engineer. In the event of non-acceptance, re-recording using better equipment or in a rented studio - mix and equalization of the quality of recordings by the recording studio (huge financial costs) - cutting and exporting dialogue lines to the names of appropriate scripts - implementation of the whole into the game and internal tests
Last edited by X4vv; Sep 28, 2022 @ 9:00am
RandalMcdaniel Oct 5, 2022 @ 7:42am 
i have no voice overs and it bothers me

how do i enable the polish voice overs? I would like to hear the voices even if i can not understand the language

i just noticed the polish voice over DLC, but my game claims its already installed

do the npcs on the ship just not have voices?
Last edited by RandalMcdaniel; Oct 5, 2022 @ 7:49am
X4vv  [developer] Oct 5, 2022 @ 8:01am 
Originally posted by RandalMcdaniel:
i have no voice overs and it bothers me

how do i enable the polish voice overs? I would like to hear the voices even if i can not understand the language

i just noticed the polish voice over DLC, but my game claims its already installed

do the npcs on the ship just not have voices?

You have to manually ENABLE it in your game's Properties -> DLC
BigWarmHugs Oct 30, 2022 @ 3:57am 
@Oltri

Thanks to you and your team for the AMAZING game. I am partly through chapter 1 and completely immersed in the world, despite not knowing Polish.

I completely respect your position and hope you and the team do not need to waste any more time explaining the matter. The truth is that many people do not have the attention span to read.

Any possibility of a proper Gothic 3? You guys are definitely the ones to do it!
i understand, i do hope English speaking community to do voice over at some point its such a great game i do like the polish language but i dont understand anything and i am to over spoiled all this years from english voice overs in games that some times i cant focus enough on the game lol
Originally posted by BigWarmHugs:
@Oltri

Thanks to you and your team for the AMAZING game. I am partly through chapter 1 and completely immersed in the world, despite not knowing Polish.

I completely respect your position and hope you and the team do not need to waste any more time explaining the matter. The truth is that many people do not have the attention span to read.

Any possibility of a proper Gothic 3? You guys are definitely the ones to do it!

problem with gothic 3 is that the graphic engine is kinda buggy and many models looks kinda...bad i do hope to for a proper remake it was such a let down i start playng rpg games from gothic one then jump to gothic 2 but sadly gothic 3 wasnt that good since as we all know jowood ant prhb separated from each other, o well i hope gothic 1 remake will be epic
Tanchyon Feb 4, 2023 @ 8:14pm 
Meh Slavic languages aren't too bad at least it's not a more abrasive language.
Sanzor Feb 7, 2023 @ 7:20am 
I don't understand Polish either, but the game has a ton more immersion with the voice over enabled. The english subtitles are translated quite well to follow the sentences and personally I think they put a lot of work into the voiceover, so don't miss out on it.
Amigo Mar 1, 2023 @ 12:51am 
Maybe someone could start a project to voice the game with AI. There is such a project for TES3 Morrowind. Take a listen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=FMuh7A5jwpo&embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Frpgcodex.net%2F&source_ve_path=MTY0OTk&feature=emb_logo
Pawloch  [developer] Mar 25, 2023 @ 1:12am 
We will never use AI to create VO. For dozens of reasons I don't want to list again.

This also misses our goasl and standards we have set for ourselves.
Amigo Mar 25, 2023 @ 1:33am 
It's not about you anymore. You made it quite clear.
Pawloch  [developer] Mar 27, 2023 @ 6:37am 
Originally posted by Amigo:
It's not about you anymore. You made it quite clear.

Maybe. However, I still have some influence what appears from us officially.
Dichkadron Sep 1, 2023 @ 7:11am 
Hi, I've read all points about how hard is the work to make and complete all VOs from all mentioned points of view. It's clearly a huge thing.
Whatever the case if one day you would need some volunteers for Russian VOs - I would be happy to participate. It's clear that sound engineer should equalize and do mastering for all 51k tracks, so from my side I believe I could provide proper quality having some personal equipment (AKG C214 and SSL 2+) and good studio near Paris where I live (usually I do my vocal lessons there, but that would be my pleasure to make alive some characters). And last but not least - some small experience in sound recording, by the way partially gained in Poland in Białystok.
There is no game in the world except Gothic for which I would like to propose my service for free :)
If the party for Russian VOs will be gathered - please don't hesitate to push me here or by vocaltetracora@gmail.com
Korgz Oct 12, 2023 @ 2:43pm 
As someone who only knows english I played the original Night of the Raven in german with fan made english subs before G2 Gold became available. I actually enjoyed it more as I found it authentic.

I think I will enjoy the polish audio equally as I can imagine it as being the fantasy language that they speak in Archolos. I always read subs anyway as sometimes I have trouble with certain voices with very heavy accents.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Per page: 1530 50