Physical version available or digital only?

by Dawezy

Original Post

Physical version available or digital only?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Back when ME3 was announced I pre-ordered that steel-case Collectors edition for PC, got the game there in my wardrobe so I don't have to redownload everything all over again..

Will Legendary Edition have a Disc version or it's going to be Digital only this time? (though I guess Andromeda was Digital only for PC so..)

Call me old fashioned but I do like to have my hands on disc copies of things, considering how slow things download here in Australia.

Cheers!

[CM - Edited title for topic visibility]

Message 1 of 22 (3,906 Views)

Re: Digital only?

Hero

So far, I haven't found disc copies for the PC version, but I don't have any insider knowledge.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 22 (3,872 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Dawezy @Fred_vdp I'm going to give you a tentative yes to there being a physical copy. 

My evidence in this is purely that I am in Aussie as well and both Eb Games and JB Hi Fi are showing mass effect legendary edition with the case art (the ps4/xbox one logo at the top) which granted, could be edited but I dont know either of those companies to sell digital copies of games so for this reason I believe both stores are selling physical Standard smile

If PC only doesnt have a physical I'd be surprised, but I guess it is becoming more common for disk drives not to be a thing

First Mass Effect game i bought digitally though :') Decided for this generation i was going to stop making a pile of physical games since space is limited, still have my collectors me2/3 covers though :D

Message 3 of 22 (3,844 Views)

As a side note, you can always transfer games to a outside USB based drive and keep them until you want to play them again.  Meaning once you download a game, play it, and if you think you want to play in future but don't want it on your main drive, you can use an external HD to save it until you want to play again. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 22 (3,835 Views)

Hero

Nowadays, even physical PC releases don't come with the game on disc, but a product code. In some geographical regions with slow internet connections and/or data caps, discs may still be included.

Message 5 of 22 (3,821 Views)

[ Edited ]

The game size has been specified to be around 120GB

How many DVDs would be required to hold that?

15 or more?

We're getting to the point that games are outpacing Blu-Rays as well, so requests for disc versions make no sense on PC and the clock is ticking for consoles. Wondering

Unless of course you just have a download code inside a physical box or a single disc with an installer. Depends on what you expect from a 'physical' copy. Wink

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 22 (3,778 Views)

Hero

Yeah, I forgot for a moment that PCs tend not to come with Blu-ray drives (or even DVD drives). I think it's almost certainly a 'no' for a PC physical release with functioning dics. A box with a code, maybe.

The last time I bought a physical PC game it was Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which included a disc with an application that activates the game on Steam.

Message 7 of 22 (3,743 Views)

★ Guide

Seriously? I've never seen a physical copy without a disk. I guess aussie net is too slow :P

Message 8 of 22 (3,720 Views)

@GrimReaperTaken wrote:

Seriously? I've never seen a physical copy without a disk. I guess aussie net is too slow :P

The first 'fuss' over a download code in the box I remember was Metal Gear Solid V (2015) so this is not a new thing.

Games with a single 'installer' disc give an illusion of it being a physical copy, but it mostly isn't.

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 9 of 22 (3,689 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Couldn't comprehend the idea of having a PC without a BD-RW drive atleast, not sure why everyone makes a machine without them these days.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, but if they made an actual game disc and used say .. dual-layer BD? that has an absolute ton of space on it? it's not an impossible feat but I could see them sweeping the idea under the carpet because everything has to have Origin now (I despise DRM in all its forms, but you have to appease some evils I guess, I miss DOS ;_;.) for their library.

Not holding my breath for a disc release outside of consoles ofcourse, but getting some kind of confirmation of a yes/no from a EA/BioWare staff member would be nice.

Also yes, Auzzie internet is slow lol. I have unlimited monthly data with my provider but the speeds dude? ugh.. lucky to break 1.8MB/s for downloading anything. So if Legendary Edition was in actual fact 120GB atleast? have to do it over a few days if not a week as I don't leave my PC running when I'm either asleep or out of the house.

Message 10 of 22 (3,676 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help