How to get fast on a controller?

by 307b71bff9db7a1d

Original Post

How to get fast on a controller?

★★★ Novice

Dear community,

This is my first game on PS5 and I was trying to master it on a controller. On most tracks I am 3-5 src off the fastest time in the world. But I am unable to get any faster. I checked videos on YT and people get to top 1% on a controller. How is that possible? I see how they drive and all the moves are very smooth…I am unable to do that. How to improve while using a controller? What made you go faster? Any settings I can change for smooth turning? Also operating break and throttle is hard to do if you want to break just a tiny bit or operate both throttle and break at the same time. 

thanks for any suggestions!

Message 1 of 3 (408 Views)

Re: How to get fast on a controller?

★★★★★ Expert
@307b71bff9db7a1d Firstly understand game default settings are nothing more than a decent baseline to be able to pick up and play without issue. As everyone is different. Changing settings to best suit you will find you seconds per lap. But this takes time to find the right balance. Even Camera settings play a major part. FOV setting is crucial. and heavily depends on the size off your TV screen and how far you sit from it. And which camera you use. If you use TV Pod.. I suggest changing camera settings. -10 FOV -20 Angle and +20 as a starting point. As for controller settings… FFB reduce wheel damper to 10 and max wheel rotation I use 420.

Calibration settings I use 160 wheel rate. 5 deadzone and 5 linearity. Throttle linearity 100 Brakw linearity 25. These are my settings and work for me. But like I said it’s personal thing so experimenting is key, don’t be afraid to change slider settings from 0-Max. But top tip if you do decide to spend hours doing this. Experiment changing just one setting at a time. If you change a a number off different ones you won’t know which setting you changed that made it better/worse
Message 2 of 3 (331 Views)

Re: How to get fast on a controller?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Good question. For my part, I am in the same situation. I am 3 or 4 seconds from the best times.

I use full help for traction and anti-blocking of wheels. Braking aid and management are deactivated.

TOP 1 settings are not compatible with my driving style with the controller, perhaps too aggressive.

Most of the time displayed in "Time Trial" are accomplished without the aids.

Problem: even using the Top 1 settings, and by deactivating the aid it is a loss of grip assured. Even if the differential is at least (50%).

Other remarks: in real race, if I deactivate the aids, the rear tires undergo a degradation of more than 20% compared to the front because at the controller, the degree of pressure is poorly adapted. With the acceleration trigger, it is often on/off that inevitably makes us to spin. While with a crankset, we have the possibility of adjusting a double stop. If you look at players who use steering wheel and pedals, their telemetry shows 90% acceleration.

Message 3 of 3 (228 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help